Peginterferon alfa-2b is a drug used in the treatment of chronic hepatitis C. Peginterferon alfa-2b is also used as an adjunctive therapy to prevent melanoma recurrence after surgical removal of tumor tissue.
Peginterferon alfa-2b is made to mimic the alpha interferon substances that are produced naturally in the body. Alpha-2b peginterferon works by helping the immune system fight infection. In the treatment of chronic hepatitis C, this drug will generally be combined with ribavirin.
Peginterferon alfa-2b trademarks: PEG Intron, Peg Intron Pen
What is Peginterferon Alpha-2b
|Benefit||Treat chronic hepatitis C and prevent melanoma recurrence|
|Consumed by||Adults and children|
|Peginterferon alfa-2b for pregnant and lactating women||
Category C: Animal studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus, but there have been no controlled studies in pregnant women.
Drugs should only be used if the expected benefit outweighs the risk to the fetus.
Category X (Peginterferon alfa-2b in combination with ribavirin): Studies in animals and humans have demonstrated a fetal abnormality or risk to the fetus.
Drugs in this category should not be used by women who are or may become pregnant.
It is not yet known whether peginterferon alfa-2b is absorbed into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor first.
|Drug form||Injectable liquid, injecting powder|
Precautions Before Using Peginterferon Alfa-2b
There are several things that you should pay attention to before using peginterferon alfa-2b, including:
- Do not use peginterferon alfa-2b if you are allergic to this drug. Tell your doctor about any history of allergies you have.
- Do not use peginterferon alfa-2b if you have had or are currently suffering from serious liver damage or hepatitis caused by an autoimmune cause.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had any other liver disease, other than hepatitis C, HIV/AIDS , diabetes, ulcerative colitis , thyroid disease, hypertriglycerides , heart disease, blood disorders , blood clotting disorders, COPD , kidney disease or autoimmune disease , such as lupus or psoriasis.
- Tell your doctor if you have had or have recently had a heart attack , stroke, had an organ transplant, or are on regular dialysis .
- Tell your doctor if you have or are suffering from alcohol addiction, drug abuse , depression,
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements or herbal products,
- Immediately see a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction, overdose, or serious side effects after taking peginterferon alfa-2b.
Dosage and Rules for Use Peginterferon alfa-2b
The following is an injectable peginterferon alfa-2b dosage based on the condition you want to treat:
Condition: Chronic hepatitis C
- Adult: As monotherapy, 1 mcg/kg, once weekly, for 24–48 weeks. When combined with ribavirin, the dose is 1.5 mcg/kg, once a week, for 24–48 weeks.
- Children 3–18 years: When combined with ribavirin, the dose is 60 mcg/m 2 body area, once a week, for 24–48 weeks. The duration of treatment and dose changes are adjusted according to the patient's response and condition
- Adult: As adjunctive treatment, initial dose is 6 mcg/kg once a week for 8 weeks. Follow-up dose 3 mcg/kg, once a week. Treatment can be done up to 5 years. The duration of treatment and dose changes are adjusted according to the patient's response and condition.
How to Use Peginterferon alfa-2b Properly
Follow the doctor 's recommendations and instructions before using peginterferon alfa-2b. Injectable peginterferon alfa-2b will be given by a doctor or medical personnel under the supervision of a doctor. Peginterferon alfa-2b will be injected directly under the skin (subcutaneously/SC) in the hospital.
While undergoing treatment with peginterferon alfa-2b, thyroid hormone examinations, blood tests, liver function tests , and mental monitoring will be carried out. Always follow the control schedule given by the doctor.
Interactions of Peginterferon alfa-2b with Other Drugs
Peginterferon alfa-2b in combination with ribavirin may increase the risk of hepatic decompensation or hemolytic anemia. In addition, the use of peginterferon alfa-2b together with other drugs can also cause the following interaction effects:
- Increased risk of telbivudine or zidovudine side effects
- Increased risk of side effects from caffeine , despiramine, or thioridazine
- Elevated levels of theophylline or methadone
Peginterferon alfa-2b Side Effects and Dangers
Some of the side effects that can occur after using peginterferon alpha-2b are:
- Flu symptoms, fever , chills, weakness, or fatigue
- Dry mouth or a bad taste in the mouth
- Excessive sweating
- Loss of appetite or weight loss
- Skin redness, irritation, or swelling around the injection site
- Sleep disorders
- Headache or dizziness
Consult a doctor if these side effects do not improve or get worse. Immediately see a doctor if you experience an allergic drug reaction or more serious side effects, such as:
- Bloody diarrhea or stomach pain
- Chest pain , slow, fast, or irregular heart rate
- Sore throat or fever that doesn't go away
- Numbness, tingling , or pain in the hands or feet
- Vision changes, such as blurry vision
- High blood sugar levels, which can be characterized by frequent thirst, increased frequency of urination, dry mouth, sour breath
- Pancreatitis , which can be characterized by pain in the upper abdomen that spreads to the back, nausea or vomiting
- Thyroid disorders, which can be marked by sudden weight gain or loss, or frequent feelings of hot or cold
- Liver problems that get worse, which can be marked by swelling in the midsection, nausea, loss of appetite, confusion, drowsiness, fainting, or jaundice
In addition, the use of peginterferon alfa-2b can also increase the risk of worsening mental and mood disorders, including worsening depression and even the emergence of suicidal ideation .
Immediately see a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction or experience the complaints mentioned above.