Ambroxol Indofarma is beneficial to dilute phlegm in the respiratory tract so that it is easier to remove. Ambroxol Indofarma is available in tablet and syrup form.
Ambroxol Indofarma contains ambroxol hydrochloride . This drug works by breaking down mucopolysaccharide acid fibers , so that the viscosity of sputum is reduced, the sputum is thinner, and it is easier to remove when coughing.
Types and Contents of Ambroxol Indofarma
There are two types of Ambroxol Indofarma products available in Indonesia, namely:
- Ambroxol Indofarma Tablet: 1 box containing 10 blisters, 1 blister containing 10 tablets. 1 tablet contains 30 mg of ambroxol.
- Ambroxol Indofarma Syrup: 1 can contains 1 bottle of 60 ml syrup. Each 5 ml contains 15 ambroxol hcl.
What is Ambroxol Indofarma?
|Category||Cough medicine that thins phlegm (mucolytic)|
|Used by||Adults and children|
|Ambroxol Indofarma for pregnant and lactating women||Category C: Studies on experimental animals have shown side effects on the fetus, but there have been no controlled studies on pregnant women. The drug can only be used if the magnitude of the expected benefit exceeds the magnitude of the risk to the fetus. Ambroxol can be absorbed into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without first consulting your doctor.|
|Drug form||Tablets and syrups|
Warning Before Consuming Ambroxol Indofarma
Ambroxol Indofarma should not be used indiscriminately. Below are some things you need to pay attention to before consuming Ambroxol Indofarma:
- Do not use Ambroxol Indofarma if you are allergic to ambroxol. Always tell your doctor about any allergies you have.
- Tell your doctor if you have had or are currently suffering from kidney disease, liver disease, gastric ulcer, duodenal ulcer, or lung and respiratory tract disease, including pneumonia , COPD, ciliary dyskinesia , or asthma .
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are using certain medications, supplements, or herbal products.
- See a doctor immediately if an allergic drug reaction, overdose, or serious side effect occurs after consuming Ambroxol Indofarma.
Dosage and Administration of Ambroxol Indofarma
Below is the general dose of Ambroxol Indofarma to overcome phlegm cough in adult patients and children.
- Adults and children aged ≥12 years: 30 mg 2–3 times a day. The dose can be increased to 60 mg 2 times a day. The maximum dose is 120 mg per day.
- Children aged 6–11 years: 15 mg 2–3 times a day.
Preparation: Syrup with a preparation of 15 mg/5 ml
- Adults and children aged ≥12 years: 10 ml 2–3 times a day.
- Children aged 6–11 years: 5 ml 2–3 times a day.
- Children aged 2–5 years: 2.5 ml 3 times a day.
- Children aged <2 years: 2.5 ml 2 times a day.
How to Consume Ambroxol Indofarma Correctly
Follow the doctor 's advice and read the information on the packaging of Ambroxol Indofarma before starting to consume it. Ambroxol Indofarma consumption at mealtimes or immediately after meals. Try to take the medicine at the same time every day to be more effective.
Before consuming Ambroxol Indofarma in syrup form, shake the bottle first. Use a special medicine measuring spoon, so that the dose consumed is accurate.
Consumption of Ambroxol Indofarma according to the dose and duration determined by the doctor.
If you forget to take the medicine, do it immediately when the break with the next use schedule is not too close. When it is close, ignore the dose and do not double the next dose.
Store Ambroxol Indofarma in a cool and dry place. Avoid the medicine from direct sunlight and keep the medicine out of the reach of children.
Interaction of Ambroxol Indofarma with Other Medicines
Drug interaction effects can arise if ambroxol is used with certain drugs. The drug interaction that occurs is an increase in the level of antibiotics, such as amoxicillin, cefuroxime , doxycycline, or erythromycin , in the lung tissue if used with ambroxol.
To prevent drug interaction effects, always tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine, supplement, or herbal product.
Side Effects and Dangers of Ambroxol Indofarma
Side effects that can appear after consuming drugs containing ambroxol hydrochloride include:
- Bloated stomach
- The mouth or throat feels dry
- Vomiting or nausea
- Burning sensation in the chest ( heartburn )
If the above side effects do not improve or get worse, check with a doctor. In addition, you should immediately see a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction that can be marked by the appearance of an itchy rash on the skin, swelling of the lips and eyelids, or shortness of breath.