Amlodipine Hexpharm is useful for lowering blood pressure in hypertension. It is also used in the treatment of heart disease, including stable angina-type chest pain. Amlodipine Hexapharm can be used alone or in combination with other antihypertensive drugs.
Amlodipine Hexpharm contains the active ingredient amlodipine besilate. This drug belongs to the class of calcium channel blockers (CCBs) or calcium antagonists that work by blocking calcium from entering heart cells and relaxing blood vessels. That way, blood vessels will widen, blood flow smoothly, and the heart's workload is reduced.
Types and Ingredients of Amlodipine Hexpharm
There are two variants of the Amlodipine Hexpharm product available in Indonesia, namely:
Amlodipine Hexpharm 5 mg
Each 1 tablet contains 5 mg amlodipine besilate. In 1 box contains 10 strips, 1 strip contains 10 tablets.
Amlodipine Hexpharm 10 mg
Each 1 tablet contains 10 mg amlodipine besilate. In 1 box contains 10 strips, 1 strip contains 10 tablets.
What is Amlodipine Hexpharm
|Category||Antihypertensive drug class of calcium antagonists|
|Benefit||Lowering blood pressure in hypertension|
|Used by||Adults and children aged ≥6 years|
|Amlodipine Hexpharm for pregnant and lactating women||
Category C: Studies in animal studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus, but there have been no controlled studies in pregnant women. The drug should only be used if the expected benefit outweighs the risk to the fetus.
Amlodipine can be absorbed into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without telling your doctor.
Precautions Before Using Amlodipine Hexpharm
Below are some things you need to pay attention to before consuming Amlodipine Hexpharm:
- Do not use Amlodipine Hexpharm if you are allergic to amlodipine or to another type of calcium antagonist, such as nifedipine.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had narrowing of the heart valves (aortic stenosis), cardiogenic shock , severe hypotension, or heart failure after a myocardial infarction . This medicine should not be given to patients with these conditions.
- Tell your doctor if you have diabetes, coronary heart disease , congestive heart failure, or liver disease .
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning a pregnancy.
- Tell your doctor that you are having treatment with Amlodipine Hexpharm before having surgery, including dental surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements or herbal products.
- Do not drive a vehicle, operate heavy machinery, do anything that requires alertness, or consume alcoholic beverages while taking Amlodipine Hexpharm, because this drug can cause dizziness.
- See your doctor right away if you have an allergic reaction, overdose, or serious side effect.
Dosage and Rules for Use Amlodipine Hexpharm
The dose of Amlodipine Hexpharm prescribed by the doctor may vary from patient to patient. Below are the general dosages of Amlodipine Hexpharm by age:
- Adult: Initial dose 5 mg once daily. The dose may be increased to 10 mg per day after 1–2 weeks of treatment.
- Elderly and patients with severe liver disease: Initial dose 2.5 mg. The dose can be increased by the doctor according to the patient's response to the drug.
How to Take Amlodipine Hexpharm Properly
Follow the doctor 's advice and read the instructions printed on the package when taking Amlodipine Hexpharm. Do not increase or decrease the dose of medication without consulting a doctor.
Amlodipine Hexpharm tablets can be taken before or after meals. Use a glass of water to swallow the medicine.
Take Amlodipine Hexpharm regularly at the same time every day so that the drug can work optimally. Continue to use the drug according to the doctor's recommendations even if the condition feels better.
If you forget to take medicine, do it immediately if the break with the next schedule is not too close. If it is near, ignore the missed dose and do not double the next dose.
During treatment with Amlodipine Hexapharm, the doctor will ask you to do regular check-ups to monitor the condition and effectiveness of therapy.
Store Amlodipine Hexpharm in a closed box in a dry, cool place away from direct sunlight. Do not store Amlodipine Hexpharm in the freezer and keep the drug out of reach of children.
Interactions of Amlodipine Hexpharm with Other Drugs
Drug interactions may occur if Amlodipine Hexpharm is used with other drugs. Drug interaction effects that can occur include:
- Increased risk of rising blood pressure if taken with aspirin , ibuprofen, or other NSAID class drugs
- Decreased levels and effectiveness of Amlodipine Hexapharm when used with rifampicin , enzatulamide, St. Wort, or anti-seizure medications, such as carbamazepine , phenytoin, and phenobarbital
- Increased risk of heart rhythm disturbances when used with seritinib or dolasetron
- Increased blood levels of Amlodipine Hexapharm and ciclosporin when the two drugs are used together
- Increased levels of simvastatin in the blood which is at risk of causing liver damage and rhabdomyolysis
- Increased risk of side effects of amlodipine when used with diltiazem , erythromycin, azole antifungals , or protease inhibitors, such as indinavir and lopinavir-ritonavir
In addition, taking Amlodipine Hexapharm with grapefruit can increase blood levels of this drug.
Amlodipine Hexpharm Side Effects and Dangers
Amlodipine can cause several side effects, such as:
- The face, neck, upper chest, and arms are reddish ( flushing )
- Swelling of the soles of the feet or ankles
Contact your doctor if the side effects above do not improve or get worse. You also need to immediately check with your doctor if you experience an allergic drug reaction or rare serious side effects, such as:
- Irregular heartbeat ( arrhythmia )
- Chest pain
- Stomach ache
- Nausea and vomiting