Candesartan is a drug to lower blood pressure in hypertension. This drug is also used in the treatment of heart failure. This medicine should only be used under a doctor's prescription.
Candesartan belongs to the angiotensin receptor blockers (ARB) class of drugs that work by blocking the angiotensin II receptor. When angiotensin II is inhibited, blood vessels will weaken and widen, so it will be easier for the heart to pump blood and blood pressure will drop.
Candesartan trademarks: Blocand, Blopress, Candefar, Candefion, Candesartan Cilexetil, Candotens, Canderin, Candepress, Desarvas, Gionix, Quatan, Unisia
What is Candesartan
|Category||Angiotensin receptor blockers ( ARBs )|
|Benefit||Overcome hypertension and heart failure|
|Consumed by||Adults and children 1 year and over|
|Candesartan for pregnant and lactating women||Category D: There is evidence that the drug contains risks to the human fetus, but the benefits may outweigh the risks, for example to treat life-threatening situations. Candesartan is not known to be absorbed into breast milk or not. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor first.|
Precautions Before Taking Candesartan
Candesartan should not be taken carelessly. Pay attention to the following:
- Do not take candesartan if you are allergic to this drug. Tell your doctor about any history of allergies you have.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy. Use effective birth control while using this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you have diabetes and are taking aliskiren . Candesartan should not be used with these medications.
- Tell your doctor if you have or are currently suffering from hyperkalemia , liver disease, dehydration , kidney disease, heart valve disorders, cardiomyopathy , or angioedema .
- Tell your doctor if you are on a low-salt diet or on dialysis .
- Do not immediately drive a vehicle or engage in activities that require alertness while taking candesartan, as this medicine can cause dizziness in some people.
- Tell your doctor that you are taking candesartan before having any surgery or medical procedure, including dental surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking other medications, including supplements and herbal products, in case of drug interactions.
- See your doctor right away if you have an allergic reaction to the drug , serious side effects, or an overdose after taking candesartan.
Dosage and Rules of Use Candesartan
The doctor will give the dose and determine the duration of treatment according to the patient's condition and age. Below is a breakdown of candesartan dosages:
- Adult: 8 mg, once daily. Dosage can be adjusted according to the patient's body response. The maximum dose is 32 mg per day
- Children aged 1–6 years: 0.2 mg/kg, once a day. The dose can be increased or decreased according to the patient's body response, with a daily dose ranging from 0.05-0.4 mg/kgBW per day. The maximum dose is 0.4 mg/kg body weight.
- Children over 6 years of age <50 kg: 4–8 mg, once daily. The dose can be increased or decreased according to the patient's body response, with daily doses ranging from 2-16 mg per day.
- Children over 6 years of age weighing 50 kg: 8–16 mg, once daily. The dose can be increased or decreased according to the patient's body response, with daily doses ranging from 4–32 mg per day.
Condition: Heart failure
- Adult: 4 mg, once daily, as initial dose. Dosage may be doubled every less than 2 weeks, up to 32 mg per day.
How to eat Candesartan properly
Follow the doctor 's advice and read the information on the medicine package before taking candesartan. Do not increase or decrease the dose without consulting your doctor.
Take Candesartan regularly at the same time each day. Candesartan can be taken before or after meals with the help of a glass of water. Swallow the medication whole, do not chew or crush it.
Please note that this drug can help control blood pressure in people with hypertension, but cannot cure it. To help you control your blood pressure, in addition to taking medication, maintain an ideal body weight and limit the consumption of foods high in salt .
Take control according to the schedule given by the doctor while undergoing treatment with candesartan, so that your condition can be monitored properly.
If you forget to take candesartan, take this medicine immediately if it is not close to the next consumption schedule. If it is approaching, ignore the missed dose and do not double the next dose.
Store candesartan in a dry, closed place, away from direct sunlight. Keep medicine out of reach of children.
Candesartan Interactions with Other Drugs
The following are interactions that can occur if candesartan is used with certain medicines:
- Increased risk of hyperkalemia, hypotension, and kidney damage if used by diabetics who are taking aliskiren
- Increased risk of developing hypotension when used with high doses of anesthetics and diuretics
- Increased levels of potassium in the blood when used with potassium-sparing diuretics , heparin, or potassium-containing supplements
- Increased risk of lithium side effects
- Decreased effectiveness of candesartan in lowering blood pressure and increased risk of decreased kidney function when used concomitantly with NSAIDs
Candesartan Side Effects and Dangers
The following are side effects that may arise after taking candesartan:
- back pain
- Nasal congestion
- skin rash
Check with your doctor if these symptoms bother you or don't go away. See your doctor right away if you have an allergic reaction to a drug or a more serious side effect, such as:
- Feels like fainting
- Reduced frequency of urination or not at all
- Symptoms of hyperkalemia, such as nausea, weakness, tingling, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, or difficulty moving