Cataflam is a medicine to relieve menstrual pain, toothache, or migraine headache. In addition, this medicine can also be used to ease complaints of pain and joint inflammation due to rheumatoid arthritis , osteoarthritis , or ankylosing spondylitis .
Cataflam contains diclofenac potassium or diclofenac sodium. This medicine is available in the form of tablets, syrup, and powder. Diclofenac contained in Cataflam works by inhibiting the enzyme that produces prostaglandins. Prostaglandins are substances that trigger the appearance of inflammatory symptoms when the body experiences damage or injury.
Types and Contents of Cataflam
Cataflam is packaged in tablet, syrup, or powder form. Cataflam products available in Indonesia are:
- Cataflam 50 mg, tablet form and each tablet contains 50 mg diclofenac potassium.
- Cataflam 25 mg, tablet form and each tablet contains 25 mg diclofenac potassium.
- Cataflam Fast 50 mg, powder form and each 1 sachet contains 50 mg diclofenac potassium.
- Cataflam D 50 mg, in the form of dispersible tablets and each tablet contains 50 mg of diclofenac sodium.
- Cataflam Drops, in syrup form and each milliliter contains 15 mg of diclofenac sodium.
What is Cataflam?
|Active ingredients||Diclofenac potassium or diclofenac sodium|
|Category||Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs )|
|Benefits||Relieves pain and inflammation|
Diclofenac in Cataflam for pregnant and lactating women
Category C: Studies on experimental animals show side effects on the fetus, but there are no controlled studies on pregnant women.
Medicines can only be used if the magnitude of the expected benefit exceeds the magnitude of the risk to the fetus.
Category D: When the pregnancy is in the third trimester, there is positive evidence about the risk to the human fetus.
However, the magnitude of the benefit obtained may be greater than the risk, for example to overcome a life-threatening situation.
Cataflam can be absorbed into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without first consulting your doctor.
|Drug form||Tablets, drops , and powder|
Warnings Before Consuming Cataflam
Cataflam can only be used according to a doctor's prescription. Here are some things you need to pay attention to before consuming Cataflam:
- Tell your doctor about any allergies you have. Cataflam should not be given to patients who are allergic to this drug, aspirin, or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Tell the doctor if you have ever or are suffering from asthma , heart disease, hypertension , liver disease, gastric ulcer , heart failure, edema , kidney disease, gastrointestinal bleeding .
- Tell the doctor that you are undergoing treatment with Cataflam before undergoing certain medical procedures or operations. Cataflam cannot be consumed by patients who have just undergone heart bypass surgery .
- If after consuming Cataflam you feel dizzy, sleepy, or have blurred vision, then do not drive a vehicle or do activities that require alertness.
- As much as possible, limit the consumption of alcoholic beverages during your treatment with Cataflam, as it will increase the risk of side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements, or herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant.
- See a doctor immediately if an allergic drug reaction , serious side effect, or overdose occurs after consuming Cataflam.
Dosage and Use of Cataflam
The dose of Cataflam varies for each patient. The doctor will determine the dose according to the patient's health condition. The following is the dosage of Cataflam based on its purpose of use:
Purpose: Relieve pain, such as menstrual pain or dysmenorrhea
Dose 50–100 mg, 3 times a day
Purpose: Relieve osteoarthritis
complaints The dose is 50 mg, 2-3 times a day
Purpose: Relieve the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis
. The dose is 50 mg, 3-4 times a day
How to Consume Cataflam Correctly
Consume Cataflam according to the doctor 's recommendation and instructions on the medicine packaging. Do not change the dose without first consulting a doctor.
Cataflam should be consumed after eating to avoid heartburn. Avoid lying down for at least 10 minutes after taking this medicine.
If you consume Cataflam in tablet form, drink a glass of water to help swallow the tablet. Do not crush, chew, or split the tablet as it can increase side effects.
If you consume Cataflam in powder form, dissolve it in 30-60 ml of water first before drinking.
If you forget to take Cataflam, take it immediately when you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, ignore the missed dose and do not double the dose of Cataflam to make up for the missed dose.
Store Cataflam in a place away from direct sunlight. Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Interactions of Cataflam with Other Medicines
There are several interaction effects that can occur if the content of diclofenac sodium in Cataflam is consumed together with certain drugs, among others:
- Increased toxic effects from digoxin , lithium, cyclosporine , or methotrexate
- Increased levels of Cataflam in the blood if consumed with voriconazole
- Decreased effectiveness of Cataflam if used with rifampicin
- Decreased blood pressure lowering effect and increased risk of kidney damage if used with diuretics, ACE inhibitors or ARBs
- Increased risk of bleeding if consumed with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), anticoagulants , such as warfarin, or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including aspirin
Side Effects and Dangers of Cataflam
Side effects that can arise after consuming drugs with diclofenac sodium content include:
Check with a doctor if the complaints mentioned above do not subside or get worse. See a doctor immediately if you experience a serious drug allergic reaction or side effect, such as:
- Ears ringing
- Swelling in the legs or arms or unusual tiredness
- Rarely urinate or urine that comes out very little
- Abdominal pain, dark urine, or jaundice
- Easy to bruise or pale
- Bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract, which is marked by bloody stools or vomiting