Codipront is useful for relieving cough symptoms . This drug can only be consumed with a doctor's prescription because it contains codeine, which is a drug that belongs to the opioid class.
Codipront contains codeine and phenytoloxamine. Codeine works by reducing brain activity that triggers coughing. Meanwhile, phenytoloxamine is an antihistamine that can enhance the antitussive effect of codeine in relieving coughs.
Types and Content of Codipront
Codipront is available in two variants, namely:
Codipront is used to relieve symptoms of dry cough caused by allergies. This type of Codipront is available in two preparations, namely:
Each capsule contains 30 mg of codeine and 10 mg of phenyltoloxamine.
Each 5 ml of syrup contains 11.11 mg of codeine and 3.67 mg of phenyltoloxamine.
Codipront Cum Expectorant
Codipront cum expectorant is used to relieve cough with phlegm and help expel phlegm caused by allergies, acute bronchitis , or chronic bronchitis. This type of Codipront is available in two preparations, namely:
Each capsule contains 30 mg of codeine, 10 mg of phenyltoloxamine, and 100 mg of guaifenesin.
In every 5 ml of syrup, contained 11.11 mg of codeine, 3.67 mg of phenyltoloxamine, and 55.55 mg of guaifenesin.
What is Codipront
|Consumed by||Adults and children aged ≥2 years|
|Codipront for pregnant and lactating women||
Category C : Animal studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus, but there have been no controlled studies in pregnant women.
Drugs should only be used if the expected benefit outweighs the risk to the fetus.
The codeine in Codipront can be absorbed into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor first.
|Drug form||Capsules and syrup|
Warning Before Using Codipront
Note the following points before taking Codipront:
- Do not take Codipront if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in this medicine.
- Do not take Codipront if you are suffering from respiratory tract disorders, acute asthma attacks , digestive tract disorders, prostate enlargement accompanied by urinary disorders, or angle-closure glaucoma .
- Tell your doctor if you have or have a history of lung disease, epilepsy or seizures, liver problems, kidney problems, alcoholism , fever, hypothyroidism , severe constipation, ulcerative colitis , Addison's disease , or benign prostate enlargement .
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medications, including supplements and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you have recently had surgery, such as gastrointestinal or urinary tract surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you are having treatment with Codipront before having any medical procedure, including dental surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy.
- Do not drive a vehicle or do anything that requires alertness after taking Codipront, because this drug can cause drowsiness.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages while on treatment with Codipront, as doing so can increase your risk of side effects.
- Call your doctor right away if you have an allergic reaction to the drug or an overdose.
Dosage and Rules for Use Codipront
The dose of Codipront is determined based on the type and form of the drug, as well as the patient's age. Here is the explanation:
- Adults and children > 14 years: 1 capsule, 2 times a day.
- Adults and children > 14 years: 3 measuring spoons (15 ml), 2 times a day.
- Children 6–14 years: 2 measuring spoons (10 ml), 2 times a day.
- Children aged 4–6 years: 1 measuring spoon (5 ml), 2 times a day.
- Children 2–4 years: ½ measuring spoon (2.5 ml), 2 times a day.
Codipront Cum Expectorant Capsules
- Adults and children > 14 years: 1 capsule, 2 times a day.
Codipront Cum Expectorant Syrup
- Adults and children >14 years: 15 ml, 2 times a day.
- Children aged 6–14 years: 10 ml, 2 times a day.
- Children aged 4–6 years: 5 ml, 2 times a day.
- Children 2–4 years: 2.5 ml, 2 times a day.
How to Use Codipront Properly
Use Codipront according to the instructions for use listed on the drug packaging or the doctor 's instructions . Do not increase or decrease the recommended dose and duration of use of Codipront.
Swallow the Codipront capsule whole. If taking Codipront in the form of a syrup, shake the medicine before use. Use the measuring spoon that is in the package so that the dose consumed is correct.
Codipront should be taken with food to prevent stomach discomfort. Consume 6-8 glasses of water per day to prevent constipation while taking Codipront.
Make sure there is sufficient time between one dose and the next Codipront dose. Try to take Codipront at the same time every day to maximize the drug's effectiveness.
Store Codipront in a dry and cool place away from direct sunlight. Keep medicine out of reach of children.
Codipront Interactions with Other Drugs
Codipront contains codeine and phenyltoloxamine, while Codipront cum expectorant also contains guaifenesin. These three ingredients, especially codeine, can cause interaction effects if used together with certain drugs, such as:
- Decreased therapeutic effect of domperidone, metoclopramide, or cisapride
- Increased risk of severe constipation if used with anticholinergic drugs or antidiarrheal drugs
- Increased risk of developing central nervous system depression or respiratory depression (hypoventilation) if used with sedatives or benzodiazepines, anesthetics, antipsychotics , opioid analgesics, antihistamines , sodium oxybate, or barbiturates
- Enhanced effect of sleeping pills and muscle relaxants
- Increased risk of fatal side effects when used with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs)
Side Effects and Dangers of Codipront
The content in Codipront can cause the following side effects:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dry mouth
- Itching ( pruritus ) and other skin disorders
Contact your doctor if these side effects do not improve immediately or get worse.
Immediately see a doctor if you experience an allergic reaction to the drug, such as skin rashes, hives, or difficulty breathing, after taking Codipront. In addition, consult a doctor immediately if you experience serious side effects, such as:
- Uncontrollable joy (euphoria)
- Respiratory disorders
- Sleep disturbance
- Visual disturbance