Corticosteroids are a group of drugs that contain synthetic steroid hormones. This drug can inhibit the production of substances that cause inflammation in the body , and can work as an immunosuppressant in reducing the activity and work of the immune system.
Corticosteroids are often used to relieve inflammation in several conditions, such as allergies, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis , and pemphigus vulgaris, as well as treat nasal polyps without surgery . In addition, this drug can also be used to treat autoimmune diseases and prevent rejection reactions in patients' bodies after undergoing organ transplant surgery.
Warning Before Using Corticosteroids
Corticosteroids should not be used carelessly. There are several things that you should pay attention to before using it, including:
- Do not use corticosteroids if you are allergic to these drugs. Tell your doctor about any history of allergies you have.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor before using topical corticosteroids if you have a skin infection, acne, rosacea , or open sores on your skin.
- Tell your doctor if you have any infections , including fungal infections, bacterial infections, or viral infections, such as herpes .
- Tell your doctor if you have glaucoma, uncontrolled hypertension , diabetes or osteoporosis .
- Tell your doctor if you have had or currently have stomach ulcers, duodenal ulcers, congestive heart failure , cataracts, liver disease, or mental disorders, such as depression .
- Tell your doctor if you plan to get vaccinated in the near future, because corticosteroids can affect the effectiveness of vaccines, especially live vaccines.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medications, supplements, or herbal products.
- Immediately see a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction or serious side effects after using corticosteroids.
Side Effects and Dangers of Corticosteroids
In general, side effects that can occur after using corticosteroids are:
- Weight gain
- Swollen foot
- High blood pressure
- Weak muscles
- Buffalo hump , which is a swelling like a hump on the upper back
- Moon face , which is swelling of the face so that the face looks rounder
- Facial hair appears
- thinning of the skin
- Easy bruising
- Wounds are hard to heal
- Gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer
- Irregular menstrual cycles
Consult your doctor if these side effects do not improve or get worse. Immediately see a doctor if you experience an allergic drug reaction after using corticosteroids.
You also need to know that long-term use of corticosteroids can cause side effects in the form of obesity, developmental disorders, seizures, osteoporosis, or mental disorders, including depression, or insomnia .
Types, Trademarks, and Dosage of Corticosteroids
The following are the types of drugs that are included in the corticosteroid class along with their dosage forms and trademarks:
Forms: Tablets, syrup, injection, cream
Trademarks: Benoson, Betamethasone Valerate, Betam-Opthal, Cortamine, Fusidasol, Morvale, Polacel
To find out the dosage and further information about this drug, please open the betamethasone drug page .
Forms: Tablets, syrup, eye ointment, eye drops, injection
Trademarks: Bidaxtam, Cendo Xitrol, Cortidex, Dexaton, Dextaco, Dextamine Dextaf, Dexamethasone, Dexaharsen, Exitrol, Tobroson
To find out the dosage and further information about this drug, please open the dexamethasone drug page .
Forms: Inhaler, nebulizer liquid, nasal spray, capsules
Trademarks: Budesonide, Budesma, Budenofalk, Cortiment, Obucort, Pulmicort, Sonide, Symbicort
To find out the dosage and further information about this drug, please open the budesonide drug page .
Forms: Tablets, injections and cream
Trademarks: Carmeson, Comedrol, Cormetison, Cortesa, Depo Medrol, Hexilon, Intidrol, Lameson, Lexcomet, Medixon, Methylprednisolone, Methylon, Metrison, Meticon, Novestrol, Phadilon, Prednox, Thimelon, Urbason, Vadrol, Yalon
To find out the dosage and further information about this drug, please open the methylprednisolone drug page .
Forms: Tablets, cream, ointment, eye drops, ear drops, eye ointment and suppositories
Trademarks: Borraginol-S, Cendo Cetapred, Chloramfecort-H, Colipred, Chlorpheson, Lupred 5, P-Pred, Polypred
To find out the dosage and further information about this drug, please open the prednisolone drug page .
Forms: Tablets, caplets
Trademarks: Eltazon, Flites, Inflason, Lexacort, Prednisone, Pehacort, Remacort, Trifacort
To find out the dosage and further information about this drug, please open the prednisone drug page .
Forms: Tablets, cream, injection, nasal spray, oral ointment
Trademarks: Amtocort, Bufacomb, Cincort, Econazine, Etacinolone, Flamicort, Genalog, Kenacort, Kenalog in Orabase, Ketricin, Pi Kang Shuang Cream, Konicort, Lonacort, Nasacort AQ, Opicort, Omenacort, Tremacort, Triamcort-A, Triamcort, Triamcinolone , Triamcinolone Acetonide, Triacilon, Trilac, Trinolon, Rafacort, Sinocort, Ziloven
To find out the dosage and further information about this drug, please open the triamcinolone drug page .
Forms: Tablets, ointment, cream, injection
Trademarks: Calacort, Dermacoid, Fartison, Berlicort, Cortigra, Enkacort, Lexacorton, or Steroderm
To find out the dosage and further information about this drug, please open the hydrocortisone drug page .
Form: Injection, tablet
Trademark: Cortisone Acetate
To find out the dosage and further information about this drug, please open the cortisone drug page .