Demeclocycline or demeclocycline hydrochloride is an antibiotic drug to overcome diseases caused by bacterial infections, such as urinary tract infections or pneumonia. This medicine can also be used to treat acne.
Demeclocycline belongs to the group of tetracycline antibiotics that work by inhibiting the formation of proteins that are important for bacterial growth. That way, the bacteria will die and the infection can be overcome.
In addition to overcoming bacterial infections, demeclocycline is also used to treat chronic hyponatremia related to the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH). It should be noted that this medicine cannot be used to treat diseases caused by viral infections, such as flu.
Brand name of demeclocycline: -
What is Demeclocycline
Warnings Before Consuming Demeclocycline
Demeclocycline should be consumed according to the doctor's prescription. Here are the things you need to pay attention to before consuming demeclocycline:
- Tell your doctor about any allergies you have. Demeclocycline should not be given to patients who are allergic to this drug or tetracycline drugs.
- Tell your doctor if you have had or are suffering from kidney disease, liver disease, porphyria , difficulty swallowing, myasthenia gravis , ulcers in the esophagus, lupus , or diabetes insipidus .
- Do not drink alcohol, drive a motor vehicle, or operate heavy machinery, while taking demeclocycline, because this medicine can cause dizziness.
- Consult your doctor if you plan to undergo vaccinations that, during treatment with demeclocycline.
- Do not do outdoor activities that expose you to direct sunlight while taking demeclocycline, because this medicine can make the skin more sensitive to sunlight.
- Demeclocycline should not be used by children under the age of 8 because it can cause permanent tooth discoloration and tooth damage.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant. Use effective contraception during treatment with demeclocycline.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements, or herbal products.
- Immediately see a doctor if you experience an overdose, drug allergic reaction , or more serious side effects after consuming demeclocycline.
Dosage and Administration of Demeclocycline
The dose and duration of use of demeclocycline will be determined by the doctor according to the type of infectious disease, the severity of the infection, as well as the patient's age and health condition. Here is the explanation:
Purpose: Overcome bacterial infection
- Adults: 150–300 mg, 2–4 times a day.
- Children aged >8 years: 7–13 mg/kgBW, 2–4 times a day.
Purpose: Treating chronic hyponatremia related to the syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH)
- Adults: Initial dose 900–1,200 mg per day divided into several administrations. Maintenance dose 600–900 mg per day.
Purpose: Treat atypical pneumonia
- Adults: 900 mg, divided into 3 doses, for 6 days.
How to Consume Demeclocycline Correctly
Follow the doctor 's advice and read the information on the medicine package before consuming demeclocycline. Do not increase or decrease the dose, and do not use the medicine beyond the recommended period of time.
Consume demeclocycline regularly at the same time every day. Demeclocycline can be consumed at least 1 hour before a meal or 2 hours after a meal or on an empty stomach. Swallow the medicine with a glass of water. Swallow the medicine whole, do not chew or crush it.
If you forget to take demeclocycline, take it immediately if the interval with the next consumption schedule is not too close. If it's close, ignore it and don't double the dose.
Consuming demeclocycline tablets or capsules 2–3 hours before or after consuming antacids, quinapril, laxatives, or milk.
Store demeclocycline in a dry, covered place, away from direct sunlight. Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Interactions of Demeclocycline with Other Drugs
The following are a number of interaction effects that can occur if demeclocycline is used with certain drugs:
- Increased risk of severe kidney failure if used with methoxyflurane
- Decreased levels of demeclocycline in the blood if used together with antacids, zinc , quinapril, kaolin , or sucralfate
- Decreased effectiveness of birth control pills or penicillin
- Increased risk of benign intracranial hypertension if used together with retinoid drugs , such as acitretin
- Increased risk of ergotamine poisoning (ergotismus) if used with ergotamine
- Decreased effectiveness of live vaccines, such as the typhoid vaccine
- Increased risk of bleeding if used with anticoagulant drugs , such as warfarin
Side Effects and Dangers of Demeclocycline
Side effects that may appear after consuming demeclocycline are:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Headache or dizziness
- Loss of appetite
- Discomfort in the rectum or anus
Check with your doctor if the above side effects do not subside. Go to the doctor immediately if an allergic reaction to the drug appears, which can be marked by the appearance of an itchy and swollen rash, swollen eyelids and lips, or difficulty breathing.
In addition, you should also see a doctor immediately if you experience more serious side effects, such as:
- A change in the color of the skin or the inside of the mouth becomes darker
- Pain or difficulty swallowing
- Urinate often or rarely urinate
- Dark colored urine or very little urine
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Sore throat, fever , and chills, which did not improve
- Jaundice , abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting that continues
- Tooth discoloration to gray or brownish
- Ears ringing
- Blurred vision, sudden blindness , or a severe headache that does not go away