Empagliflozin is a drug to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Empagliflozin can be used as a single drug or in combination with other antidiabetic drugs, such as metformin and linagliptin.
Empagliflozin works by increasing the amount of sugar excreted through the kidneys so that the level of sugar in the blood decreases. This drug can also reduce the risk of death from heart attack , stroke, or heart failure in type 2 diabetes patients who also have heart disease.
Please note, empagliflozin cannot be used to treat type 1 diabetes . In addition, to increase its effectiveness, the use of this drug must be accompanied by changes to a healthy diet and regular exercise.
Brand names of empagliflozin: Glyxambi, Jardiance, Jardiance Duo
What is Empagliflozin
SGLT2 inhibitor type antidiabetic
Controlling blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes
Reducing the risk of death in type 2 diabetes patients who also have cardiovascular disease
Empagliflozin for pregnant and lactating women
Category D: There is evidence that the ingredients pose a risk to the human fetus, but the benefits may outweigh the risks, for example in dealing with a life-threatening situation.
Empagliflozin can be absorbed into breast milk. Do not use this medicine if you are breastfeeding.
Precautions Before Taking Empagliflozin
Empagliflozin should not be taken carelessly. The following are things you need to pay attention to before consuming empagliflozin:
- Do not take empagliflozin if you are allergic to this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you have or are suffering from kidney disease, liver disease, low blood pressure ( hytension ), high cholesterol, yeast infections of the genitals, urinary tract infections , or pancreatic disorders.
- For men, tell your doctor if you haven't had a circumcision .
- Tell your doctor if you are on dialysis or on a low salt diet.
- Tell your doctor if you have any conditions that increase the risk of dehydration , such as vomiting and diarrhea, both before and while you are taking empagliflozin.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery immediately after taking empagliflozin, because this drug may cause dizziness, blurred vision, or drowsiness.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages while on treatment with empagliflozin, because it can increase the risk of side effects. Tell your doctor if you have difficulty reducing alcohol consumption or are addicted to alcohol .
- Tell your doctor if you have a fever, have an infection, are injured, or have recently had surgery, especially surgery on the pancreas.
- Discuss with your doctor about the side effects of empagliflozin that need to be anticipated in the elderly, because the elderly are at risk of experiencing more dangerous side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, may become pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking other medications, including supplements and herbal products, to avoid drug interactions.
- Tell your doctor that you are taking empagliflozin if you are having surgery or any other medical procedure, including dental surgery.
- Immediately see a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction , serious side effects, or an overdose after taking empagliflozin.
Dosage and Rules for Use Empagliflozin
The initial dose of empagliflozin is 10 mg once daily. The dose may be increased to 25 mg daily if blood sugar is not controlled, as long as the patient does not experience side effects.
How to Take Empagliflozin Correctly
Follow the doctor 's recommendations and read the instructions listed on the drug packaging before taking empagliflozin. Do not reduce, increase, or stop medication without a doctor's direction.
Empagliflozin can be taken before or after meals every morning. Swallow the tablet whole with the help of a glass of water. Do not crush, split, or chew the tablets. Try to take empagliflozin at the same time every day for maximum benefit.
If you forget to take empagliflozin, take the drug as soon as you remember if the break with the next schedule is still more than 12 hours. If it is less than that, ignore the missed dose and do not double the next dose.
Empagliflozin only helps control high blood sugar, but does not cure diabetes. Therefore, you need to have regular blood sugar checks to see if this drug can control your blood sugar properly.
Make sure to carry out the control according to the schedule given by the doctor. In addition to checking blood sugar, you may be asked to undergo kidney function tests or electrolyte tests on a regular basis.
Always consume enough water to reduce the risk of dehydration and impaired kidney function while undergoing treatment with empagliflozin. Consult your doctor about the right amount of water intake for you, especially if you also have heart disease.
Store empagliflozin in a room with room temperature. Do not store it in a damp place or in direct sunlight.
Empagliflozin Interactions with Other Drugs
Interactions that can occur if empagliflozin is used with certain drugs are:
- Increased risk of developing hypoglycemia when used with sulfonylurea antidiabetic drugs or injecting insulin
- Increased excretion of water in the urine when used with diuretics can increase the risk of dehydration or hypotension
- Increased risk of too low blood pressure when used with antihypertensive drugs
Empagliflozin Side Effects and Dangers
Some of the side effects that can occur after consuming empagliflozin, are:
- Often thirsty
- Frequent urination
- Dizzy to the point of feeling like you might pass out
Check with your doctor if the above complaints don't subside or get worse. Call your doctor if you have serious side effects, such as:
- Urinary tract infection, which is characterized by burning or pain when urinating, as well as pink or bloody urine
- Kidney disorder, which is characterized by a significant change in the amount of urine than usual
- Yeast infection in the vagina , which is characterized by itching, burning sensation in the vagina, or vaginal discharge that is unusual and has an abnormal smell
- A yeast infection of the penis, which is characterized by redness, itching , swelling, and an abnormal discharge from the penis
Immediately see a doctor if you experience an allergic drug reaction or more serious side effects, such as:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Stomach ache
- It's hard to breathe
- Unusual tiredness