Formoterol is a drug to ease the symptoms of narrowing of the airways due to asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). This drug can also be used to prevent the recurrence frequency of asthma attacks and COPD .
Formoterol belongs to the group of long - acting beta agonist bronchodilator drugs . This drug works by relaxing the muscles in the respiratory tract. That way, the respiratory tract that was previously narrowed can be wider and the flow of air from and into the lungs will be smoother.
This drug is not used to treat acute asthma attacks. Formoterol can be used to control and relieve complaints and symptoms, but cannot cure asthma and COPD.
Brand name formoterol: Symbicort, Innovair, Duaklir Genuair
What is Formoterol
|Benefits||Relieves shortness of breath due to narrowing of the airways in asthma and COPD|
|Used by||Adults and children over 5 years old|
|Formoterol for pregnant and lactating women||
Category C: Studies on experimental animals show side effects on the fetus, but there are no controlled studies on pregnant women. Medicines can only be used if the magnitude of the expected benefit exceeds the magnitude of the risk to the fetus.
It is not yet known whether formoterol can be absorbed into breast milk or not. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without first consulting your doctor.
|Form||Inhaler ( inhaler ) and nebulizer solution|
Warnings Before Using Formoterol
Formoterol should be used according to the doctor's prescription. There are several things you should pay attention to before using formoterol, among them:
- Tell your doctor about any allergies you have. Formoterol should not be used by patients who are allergic to this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you have had or are currently suffering from heart disease , high blood pressure, hyperthyroidism , electrolyte disorders, seizures , or diabetes .
- Tell your doctor if you are using other medicines, including herbal medicines and supplements.
- See a doctor immediately if an allergic drug reaction, serious side effect, or overdose occurs after using formoterol.
Dosage and Administration of Formoterol
The following is the dosage for use of formoterol in adult patients and children aged 5 years and above based on the purpose of use:
Purpose: Treatment and prevention of asthma
attacks The dose is 12 mcg, 2 times a day, using an inhaler. The dose can be increased to 24 mcg, 2 times a day. Usually it will be given in combination with inhaled corticosteroids.
Purpose: Treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ( COPD )
The dose is 12 mcg, 2 times a day, using an inhaler . Additional doses can be given according to the patient's condition. The maximum dose is 48 mcg per day.
How to Use Formoterol Correctly
Follow the doctor 's recommendations and read the instructions on the medicine package before starting to use formoterol. This medicine is used by inhaling through the mouth with an inhaler . This medicine is also available in the form of a solution that will be put into a nebulizer .
Before using the formoterol inhaler , make sure the suction side of the mouth is clean and dry, then shake the inhaler . Exhale as much as you can, then suck formoterol slowly through your mouth.
Use formoterol at the same time every day. If you forget to use it, immediately use formoterol when the interval of the next use schedule is not too close. If it's close, ignore it and don't double the dose.
Store formoterol in a tightly closed container. Make sure the container is kept at room temperature and away from direct sunlight. Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Formoterol Interactions with Other Drugs
There are several interaction effects that may occur if formoterol is used with certain drugs, including:
- Increased risk of heart rhythm disturbances if used with quinidine , disopyramide, antihistamines, halothane gas, or procainamide
- Increased risk of hypokalemia, i.e. low levels of potassium in the blood, if used with theophylline, corticosteroids , or furosemide
- Increased effectiveness of formoterol if used with anticholinergic drugs, such as ipratropium or glycopyrronium
- Decreased effectiveness of formoterol if used with beta blockers
- Increased risk of heart failure if used with MAOI drugs , macrolides, or tricyclic antidepressants
Side Effects and Dangers of Formoterol
Some common side effects that occur after using this drug are:
- Hard to sleep
- Dry mouth
- Husky voice
Check with a doctor if the complaints mentioned above do not subside or get worse. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience a drug allergic reaction or more serious side effects, such as:
- Chest pain
- Very heavy dizziness
- Pass out
- Severe shortness of breath
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Excessive thirst