Ginkgo biloba is believed to be useful for improving memory and concentration , so it is often used as a supplement in reducing symptoms related to dementia. This herbal supplement can be found in tablet and capsule form.
Ginkgo biloba contains flavonoids and terpenoids which have strong antioxidant properties . The antioxidant properties possessed by this herbal ingredient are able to fight free radicals and are believed to be good for brain health.
Ginkgo biloba is also believed to be able to help improve blood flow throughout the body, including the brain. Although it is believed to have many benefits, further research is still needed to prove the safety and effectiveness of gingko biloba.
Trademark g inkgo b iloba : Blackmores Ginkgo Recall, Cerebrovit Ginkgo, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginkgoforce, Ginkgo Plus, Ginkgo Max, GNC Ginkgo Biloba Plus, Nature's Plus Ginkgo Combo, Nutracare Ginkgo Biloba, Libidione, Sido Muncul Ginkgo Biloba, Vitahealth Ginkgo 2000, Wellness Ginkgo Biloba
What is Ginkgo Biloba
Warning Before Consuming Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo biloba supplements should not be taken carelessly. There are several things that need to be considered before using this supplement, namely:
- Do not take ginkgo biloba supplements if you are allergic to ginkgo plants, poison ivy , or poison sumac .
- Consult your doctor before taking ginkgo biloba if you have epilepsy , blood clotting disorders, diabetes and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase ( G6PD ) deficiency.
- Discuss with your doctor about using ginkgo biloba supplements if you are currently undergoing treatment with other herbal products or certain supplements.
- Consult your doctor about using gingko biloba if you are currently taking anticoagulant drugs , such as warfarin, because gingko biloba is known to increase the risk of bleeding.
- Tell your doctor that you are taking ginkgo biloba if you are planning to have surgery or certain medical procedures. Gingko biloba consumption should be stopped 1-2 weeks before the scheduled surgery.
- Consult your doctor about using supplements and herbal products, including gingko biloba, if you are pregnant, nursing, or planning a pregnancy.
- Immediately consult a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction , serious side effects, or an overdose after taking ginkgo biloba supplements.
Dosage and Rules for Use Ginkgo Biloba
Each 1 capsule or tablet of ginkgo biloba extract contains 24–32% flavonoid glycosides and 6–12% terpene lactones.
The dose of ginkgo biloba to reduce symptoms of dementia and peripheral arterial disease in adults is 120–240 mg per day divided into 2–3 consumption schedules.
Apart from dementia and peripheral arterial disease, ginkgo biloba supplements are often used for other purposes as well. The following are ginkgo biloba doses divided according to their intended use:
Purpose: Improve memory and thinking ability
. The dose is 120-600 mg per day which is divided into 2 consumption schedules.
Purpose: Treating glaucoma and macular degeneration
The dose is 40 mg, consumed 3 times a day, for 4 weeks.
Purpose: Overcoming vertigo or tinnitus
The dose is 120-160 mg per day divided into 2-3 consumption schedules.
Purpose: Reducing the symptoms of Raynaud's syndrome
. The dose is 360 mg per day which is divided into 3 if the consumption schedule.
Purpose: Prevent and treat symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
The dose is 80 mg, 2 times a day, starting on the 16th day of the menstrual cycle until the 5th day of the next menstrual cycle.
Purpose: Prevention of altitude sickness or altitude sickness. The
dose is 80 mg, 2 times a day.
Purpose: Overcoming the symptoms of intermittent claudication
. The dose is 120-240 mg per day which is divided into 2-3 times the consumption schedule.
Purpose: Overcoming sexual dysfunction due to the use of antidepressant drugs.
The dose is 60–240 mg, 2 times a day.
How to Consume Ginkgo Biloba Properly
Make sure to take ginkgo biloba supplements according to the instructions and directions for use on the packaging. If necessary, discuss with your doctor so that the dose consumed is according to your condition. Do not take more than the recommended dose to avoid side effects.
Ginkgo biloba tablets or capsules should be swallowed whole. Do not split, chew or grind tablets or capsules to avoid side effects. Ginkgo biloba supplements should be taken with food.
Keep in mind, it will take about 4–6 weeks for this supplement to feel effective. It is best to stop using ginkgo biloba supplements if the results are not as expected.
If you forget to take ginkgo biloba supplements, consume them immediately if the gap with the next consumption schedule is not too close. If it's close, ignore it and don't double the dose.
Store ginkgo biloba tablets or capsules in a closed container in a room with a cool temperature and avoid heat or direct sunlight. Keep this supplement out of reach of children.
Ginkgo Biloba Interactions with Other Drugs
The use of ginkgo biloba supplements with certain drugs can cause drug interaction effects, such as:
- Increases the risk of bleeding and bruising when used with ibuprofen, antiplatelet drugs , or anticoagulants
- Increases the risk of serious side effects such as coma when used with trazodone
- Increased risk of seizures when used with sedatives, antiarrhythmics , certain antibiotics, antidepressants , antihistamines, certain immunosuppressants, or stimulants
- Increased risk of developing hypomania when used with fluoxetine
- Increase the risk of side effects of clozapine , fluvoxamine, olanzapine , haloperidol, propranolol , and theophylline drugs
- Causes hyperactivity and overexcitement if used together with buspirone
- Increases the risk of developing hypertension when used with thiazide diuretic drugs
- Reducing the effectiveness of the drugs amitriptyline , citalopram, diazepam , lansoprazole , omeprazole, phenytoin, alprazolam, efavirenz, phenobarbital, phenytoin, carbamazepine, paraldehyde , and antidiabetic drugs
Ginkgo Biloba Side Effects and Dangers
If used according to the doctor's recommendations and the usage rules listed on the package, ginkgo biloba supplements rarely cause side effects. Generally the following side effects can appear if ginkgo biloba is consumed in excess:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Muscle weakness
- Stomach ache
- Heart pounding
Don't overdo this supplement. Immediately consult a doctor if you experience the side effects mentioned above or experience an allergic drug reaction after using ginkgo biloba supplements.