Hydrotalcite is a medicine to ease the symptoms of heartburn , stomach inflammation ( gastritis ) , or gastric ulcer. This drug belongs to the antacid group.
Hydrotalcite is also known as aluminum magnesium carbonate hydroxide hydrate . Hydrotalcite works by lowering the acidity level in the stomach. That way, symptoms such as heartburn and heartburn can subside. It should be noted that this medicine cannot reduce the production of stomach acid.
Hydrotalcite trademark: Promag
What is Hydrotalcite
|Benefits||Relieves symptoms of dyspepsia or heartburn|
|Consumed by||Children aged 6 years to adults|
|Hydrotalcite for pregnant and lactating women||
Category N: Not yet categorized.
Hydrotalcite content can be absorbed into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, do not consume this medicine before consulting your doctor.
|Drug form||Chewable tablets and liquid suspensions|
Warnings Before Consuming Hydrotalcite
Although sold freely, hydrotalcite should not be used indiscriminately. Before consuming this medicine, you need to pay attention to the following things:
- Tell your doctor about any allergies you have. Do not use this medicine if you are allergic to hydrotalcite.
- Tell your doctor if you suffer from diarrhea , constipation, intestinal blockage , liver disease, gastrointestinal bleeding , or kidney disease, including kidney stones .
- Some hydrotalcite suspension products may contain aspartame, tell your doctor if you suffer from phenylketonuria .
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements, or herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
- See a doctor immediately if you experience a drug allergic reaction, serious side effects, or overdose after consuming hydrotalcite.
Dosage and Administration of Hydrotalcite
In general, the following is the dose of hydrotalcite to overcome dyspepsia or heartburn according to age and form of drug preparation:
- Children aged >12 years and adults: For a suspension containing 500 mg hydrotalcite/5 ml, the dose is 10 ml, consumed between meals and before bedtime.
- Children aged 6–12 years: For a suspension containing 500 mg hydrotalcite/5 ml, the dose is 5 ml consumed between meals and before bedtime.
- Adults: 1–2 tablets, 3–4 times a day.
How to Consume Hydrotalcite Correctly
Consume hydrotalcite according to the doctor 's recommendation or the rules of use found on the package. Hydrotalcite chewable tablets need to be chewed first and consumed with a glass of water, while hydrotalcite in the form of a liquid suspension needs to be shaken before consumption.
If you need to take other medicines, take them 1-4 hours after taking hydrotalcite. Hydrotalcite is usually consumed when symptoms arise, after eating, or before going to bed. Make sure to be in an upright position for 1-2 hours after consuming the medicine.
Hydrotalcite can generally be consumed within a maximum period of 2 weeks. If your condition does not improve, immediately consult a doctor.
If you forget to consume hydrotalcite, consume it immediately if the pause with the next consumption schedule is not too close. When it's close, ignore it and don't double the dose.
Store hydrotalcite at room temperature in a cool, dry place. Keep this medicine out of the reach of children.
Interactions of Hydrotalcite with Other Drugs
The following are some drug interaction effects that can occur if hydrotalcite is used with certain drugs:
- Decreased absorption and effectiveness of tetracycline , quinolone , or iron antibiotics
- Increased levels of magnesium in the blood ( hypermagnesemia ), especially in patients with impaired kidney function if used with vitamin D3
- Increased risk of heart rhythm disturbances if used with albuterol
Side Effects and Dangers of Hydrotalcite
The following are side effects that can arise after using hydrotalcite:
Check with your doctor if the side effects mentioned above do not subside or get worse. See a doctor immediately if you experience a drug allergic reaction or more serious side effects, such as:
- Black stools
- Slow breathing or shortness of breath
- Mood swings and changes in mental condition
- Pain when urinating
- Vomit that is colored like coffee grounds
- Symptoms of low phosphate levels, which are marked by loss of appetite, excessive fatigue, or muscle weakness
- Slow or irregular heartbeat ( arrhythmia )
- Pass out