Hyoscine butylbromide is used to relieve stomach, intestinal and urinary tract cramps. This drug can also relieve bloating or pain associated with muscle stiffness . One of them is due to irritation of the digestive tract or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) .
Hysocine butylbromide is an antispasmodic drug that works by relaxing the muscles in the digestive tract and urinary tract. It should be noted that this drug is different from hyoscine hydromide which is often used to relieve nausea and vomiting due to motion sickness.
Hyoscine butylbromide trademarks: Buscopan, Buscopan Plus, Buscotica, Dormi Compositum, Gencopan, Gencopan Plus, Gitas, Gitas Plus, Hiopar, Hyomida Plus, Hyoscine Butylbromide, Hyorex, Hyscopan, Kolicgon, Scobutrin, Parios, Procolic, Scopamin Plus, Scopma, Scopma Plus, Spashi, Spashi Plus, Spasmal, Spasmolit, Stomica Plus, Unthecol, Vellios
What is Hyoscine Butylbromide
|Benefit||Relieves pain from stomach, intestinal, or urinary tract cramps|
|Consumed by||Adults and children aged ≥12 years|
|Hyoscine butylbromide for pregnant and lactating women||
Category C: Animal studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus, but there have been no controlled studies in pregnant women. Drugs should only be used if the expected benefit outweighs the risk to the fetus.
Hyoscine butylbromide is not known to be absorbed into breast milk or not. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor first.
|Form||Tablets, caplets, injections|
Precautions Before Using Hyoscine Butylbromide
Hyoscine butylbromide should only be used as prescribed by a doctor. There are several things that need to be considered before using hyoscine butylbromide, including:
- Do not use hyoscine butylbromide if you are allergic to this drug. Tell your doctor about any history of allergies you have.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had GERD , diarrhea, intestinal obstruction, colitis , hypertension, glaucoma , enlarged prostate, hyperthyroidism , Down's syndrome, tachycardia , autonomic neuropathy, or myasthenia gravis .
- Avoid using hyoscine butylbromide in the elderly over 65 years and children under 12 years of age.
- Do not drive or do activities that require alertness after using hyoscine butylbromide, because this drug can cause drowsiness.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements or herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy.
- Immediately see a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction, overdose, or serious side effects, after using this drug.
Dosage and Rules for Using Hyoscine Butylbromide
Hyoscine butylbromide must be used according to a doctor's prescription. The following is the oral hyoscine butylbromide dosage based on the condition being treated and the age of the patient:
Condition: Abdominal cramps , muscle tension in the digestive tract, or urinary tract
- Adult: 20 mg, 4 times a day.
- Children 6–11 years: 10 mg 3 times daily.
Condition: Irritable bowel syndrome
- Adult: Initial dose of 10 mg, 3 times daily. Dosage may be increased to 20 mg, 4 times daily, according to patient needs.
Hyoscine butylbromide in injection form will be given by a doctor or medical officer under the doctor's supervision. The dosage will be adjusted according to the patient's age, condition, and response to treatment.
How to Use Hyoscine Butylbromide Properly
Always follow the doctor 's advice and read the instructions printed on the drug packaging before using hyoscine butylbromide. Do not start using the drug, increase or decrease the dose without consulting your doctor first.
Hyoscine butylbromide tablets can be taken before or after meals. Swallow hyoscine butylbromide tablets or caplets whole with plain water. Do not crush, split or chew the medication as this can affect its effectiveness.
If you forget to take hyoscine butylbromide, consume it immediately if the break with the next consumption schedule is not too close. If it's close, ignore it and don't double the dose
Store the drug in a dry place, at room temperature, and protected from direct sunlight. Keep medicine out of reach of children.
Hyoscine Butylbromide Interactions with Other Drugs
The following are interaction effects that can occur if hyoscine butylbromide is used together with other medicines:
- Reducing levels or actually eliminating the effects of each drug when used with domperidone or metoclopramide
- Increased risk of side effects when used with codeine , amytriptyline, clozapine , amantadine, salbutamol , ipratropium, quinidine , or antihistamines
Hyoscine Butylbromide Side Effects and Dangers
Some of the side effects that can occur after using hyoscine butylbromide are:
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
Check with your doctor if you experience the side effects mentioned above. Immediately see a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction which can be marked by the appearance of an itchy skin rash, swelling of the lips and eyelids, or difficulty breathing.