Olanzapine is used to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia, such as confused thinking, changes in behavior, hallucinations or delusions. This medicine should only be used according to a doctor's prescription.
Olanzapine is an atypical antipsychotic that works by balancing natural chemicals in the brain. Olanzapine will affect the work and amount of dopamine and serotonin in the brain so that the symptoms of schizophrenia can subside.
Apart from relieving the symptoms of schizophrenia, this drug can also be used in the treatment of bipolar disorder. Please note that this drug cannot be used to treat symptoms of psychosis due to dementia.
Olanzapine trademarks: Olanzapine, Olzan, Onzapin, Remital, Sopavel, Zyprexa
What is Olanzapine
|Benefit||Treating schizophrenia and bipolar disorder|
|Olanzapine for pregnant and lactating women||
Category C: Animal studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus, but there have been no controlled studies in pregnant women.
Drugs should only be used if the expected benefit outweighs the risk to the fetus.
Olanzapine can be absorbed into breast milk, should not be used during breastfeeding.
|Drug form||Tablets, Injections|
Precautions Before Using Olanzapine
The following are some things you should pay attention to before taking olanzapine:
- Tell your doctor about any history of allergies you have. Olanzapine should not be given to patients who are allergic to this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had psychosis associated with dementia. Olanzapine should not be given to patients with these conditions.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had liver disease , breast cancer, sleep apnea , diabetes, epilepsy , high cholesterol, enlarged prostate , heart disease, paralytic ileus , thyroid disease,
- Tell your doctor if you have ever attempted suicide or had thoughts of self-harm.
- Avoid doing activities in the sun or hot temperatures for a long time, while undergoing treatment with olanzapine, because this drug can increase the risk of heatstroke .
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages while taking olanzapine, as this can increase the risk of side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy. Use effective contraception while on treatment with this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements or herbal products,
- See your doctor immediately if you experience a drug allergic reaction , overdose, or serious side effects after using olanzapine.
Dosage and Rules for Use Olanzapine
The following is the olanzapine dosage for adults based on the condition being treated and the dosage form of the drug:
Initially 10 mg, then dose may be adjusted to 5–20 mg daily, based on patient response after 24 hours.
Conditions: Bipolar disorder
Initially, 10–15 mg daily as monotherapy or 10 mg daily as combination therapy with another drug, such as lithium or valproate. Dosage may be adjusted based on patient response after 24 hours. Maintenance dose 5–20 mg per day.
Condition: Acute agitation in schizophrenia
Initially 5–10 mg, followed by 5–10 mg 2 hrs thereafter. The maximum dose is 20 mg per day.
How to Take Olanzapine Properly
Always follow the doctor 's advice and read the instructions on the drug packaging before using olanzapine.
Olanzapine injection form will be given by a doctor or medical personnel under the supervision of a doctor at the hospital. Olanzapine will be injected into the muscle (intramuscular/IM).
Olanzapine tablets can be taken before or after meals. Swallow the olanzapine tablets whole with the help of a glass of water. Take olanzapine at around the same times each day.
If you are taking olanzapine orodispersible tablets, place the medication in your mouth and allow it to melt. Apart from that, you can also take olanzapine orodispersible tablets by dissolving the drug in a drink, such as water, orange juice, apple juice, milk, or coffee.
Take olanzapine regularly. Do not start or stop taking medication or increase or decrease the dose of medication without consulting your doctor first.
If you forget to take olanzapine tablets, take them as soon as you remember if the distance to the next consumption schedule is not too close. If it's close, ignore it and don't double the dose.
Store olanzapine in a dry place, away from direct sunlight, and at room temperature. Keep this drug out of reach of children.
Olanzapine Interactions with Other Drugs
There are several interaction effects that can occur if olanzapine is used together with other drugs, namely:
- Decreased blood levels of olanzapine when used with carbamazepine
- Increased risk of seizures when used with bupropion
- Increased risk of brain disorders that can cause coma, respiratory problems, and even death when used with codeine or fentanyl
- Increased risk of developing orthostatic hypotension when used with diazepam or lorazepam
- Increased blood levels of olanzapine when used with fluvoxamine
- Enhanced effect of antihypertensive drugs in lowering blood pressure
Olanzapine Side Effects and Dangers
There are several side effects that can occur after using olanzapine, including:
- Dizziness or feeling lightheaded
- Dry mouth or nausea
- Weight gain
- back pain
- Swelling, pain, or redness at the injection site
Check with your doctor if these side effects don't improve or get worse. Immediately see a doctor if you experience an allergic drug reaction or more serious side effects, namely:
- Restlessness or confusion
- Tingling , numbness, or weakness in the feet and hands
- Unusual fatigue
- Jaundice or severe stomach pain
- Tardive dyskinesia
- Menstrual cycle disorders
- Decreased sexual desire or breast enlargement in males
Although it rarely occurs, olanzapine can cause neuroleptic malignant syndrome which is characterized by symptoms such as fever , muscle stiffness, irregular heartbeat , infrequent urination, or very small amounts of urine.