Procaterol HCl or procaterol hydrochloride is a drug to treat shortness of breath due to asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), such as chronic bronchitis or emphysema. This drug is available in the form of tablets and syrup.
Procaterol HCl belongs to the class of bronchodilators . This drug works by widening the respiratory tract so that air can flow to and from the lungs more smoothly. That way, the patient can breathe more easily.
Procaterol HCl is also available in the form of a solution or powder for inhalation ( inhaler). The effect of procaterol HCl inhalation can be felt much faster, which is 5 minutes after use. In addition, inhaled procaterol HCl also has a lower risk of causing side effects, because its work is only focused on the lungs.
Procaterol HCl trademarks: Ataroc, Asterol, Bicorsan, Meptin, Meptin Mini, Meptin Swinghaler, Proterol, Sesma, Vactiv
What is Procaterol HCl Oral
Precautions Before Using Procaterol HCl Oral
There are several things that you should pay attention to before using procaterol hcl, including:
- Do not take procaterol HCl if you have an allergy to this drug. Always tell your doctor about any allergies you have.
- Tell your doctor if you have or currently have hyperthyroidism , hypertension, heart disease, arrhythmias , or diabetes .
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning to become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking other medications, including supplements and herbal products, to avoid drug interactions.
- Consult with your doctor about the side effects that need to be anticipated if procaterol HCl is used by the elderly.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages while undergoing treatment with procaterol HCl.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking Procaterol HCl when you plan to have an allergy test , because this drug can affect the results of allergy tests. Stop using the drug at least 12 hours before having the test.
- Immediately consult a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction or more serious side effects after procaterol HCl.
Dosage and Rules for Use Oral Procaterol HCl
The dose of procaterol HCl depends on the drug preparation, age and health condition of the patient. The following are details of the dosage of procaterol HCl tablets and syrup to treat asthma , chronic bronchitis and emphysema :
- Adult: 50 mcg once daily or 25 mcg twice daily.
- Children over 6–18 years: 25 mcg, 2 times a day.
- Children under 6 years: 1.25 mcg, 2 times a day.
How to Use Oral Procaterol HCl Properly
Follow the doctor 's recommendations and read the information printed on the package before consuming procaterol HCl. Do not start or stop medication, as well as increase or decrease the dose of procaterol HCl without your doctor's approval.
Procaterol HCl can be consumed before or after meals in the morning and before going to bed. Swallow the tablet with the help of a glass of water.
If you are prescribed procaterol HCl in syrup form, don't forget to shake the medicine before taking it. Use a special measuring spoon or cup that comes in the package for a more accurate dosage. Don't use a regular tablespoon.
Take procaterol HCl at the same time every day for optimal treatment results. If you forget to take this medicine, it is recommended to take it as soon as you remember. However, if the break with the next scheduled dose is near, ignore the missed dose and do not double the dose at a later time.
Store procaterol HCl at room temperature. Avoid this drug from exposure to direct sunlight and damp places.
Interactions of Oral Procaterol HCl with Other Drugs
The following are a number of interactions that can occur if Procaterol HCl is used together with other drugs:
- Increased risk of arrhythmias or sudden cardiac arrest when used with epinephrine
- Increased risk of hypokalemia and side effects on the heart when used with corticosteroid drugs , such as betamethasone or hydrocortisone; xanthine-derived drugs, such as theophylline , or diuretic drugs , such as furosemide
Side Effects and Dangers of Oral Procaterol HCl
There are several side effects that can arise after consuming procaterol HCl, namely:
- Shaking ( tremors )
- Headache or dizziness
- Difficulty sleeping ( insomnia )
- Nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, or stomach ulcers
- Flushed and warm face ( hot flashes )
- Ringing ears ( tinnitus )
Check with your doctor if the side effects above don't go away. Immediately go to the doctor if a drug allergic reaction appears, which can be marked by the appearance of an itchy and swollen rash, swollen eyes and lips, or a feeling of choking.
Immediately go to the doctor or the nearest emergency room if you experience more serious side effects, such as pounding or irregular heartbeat, feeling of floating as if you are going to pass out, shortness of breath, or fainting.