Phenoxymethylpenicillin potassium or VK penicillin is an antibiotic drug used to treat various bacterial infections, such as infections of the respiratory tract, ears, teeth, skin, or throat.
Penicillin VK is the potassium salt of penicillin V. This drug, which is a type of penicillin antibiotic , works by interfering with the formation of the bacterial cell wall. This way of working will trigger the death of bacterial cells, so that the infection can be overcome. Penicillin VK cannot be used to treat viral infections , such as the flu.
VK penicillin trademarks: Phenoxymethyl Penicillin Potassium, Phenoxymethyl Penicillin
What is Penicillin VK
|Benefit||Treats bacterial infections|
|Consumed by||Children to adults|
|Penicillin VK for pregnant and lactating women||Category B: Animal studies have not demonstrated a risk to the fetus, but there are no controlled studies in pregnant women. Penicillin VK can be absorbed into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor first.|
Warning Before Consuming Penicillin VK
There are several things that you should pay attention to before taking VK penicillin, namely:
- Do not take VK penicillin if you are allergic to this drug or other penicillin class drugs, such as ampicillin
- Tell your doctor if you are allergic to other beta-lactam antibiotics, such as cephalosporins .
- Tell your doctor if you have asthma , eczema, allergic rhinitis , kidney disease, phenylketonuria , or colitis
- Consult your doctor if you plan to vaccinate while taking VK penicillin, as this medication may decrease the effectiveness of live bacterial vaccines.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements or herbal products.
- See a doctor immediately if you have an allergic drug reaction, overdose, or serious side effects after taking VK penicillin.
Dosage and Rules for Using Penicillin VK
The dose of VK penicillin will be adjusted according to the purpose of treatment and the age of the patient. Here are the details:
Purpose: Treating respiratory tract infections or otitis media
- Adult: 250–500 mg, every 6 hours.
- Children >12 years: 250–500 mg, every 6–8 hours.
- Children 6–12 years: 250 mg every 6 hours.
- Children 1–5 years: 125 mg every 6 hours.
- Childn <1 year: 62.5 mg, every 6 hours.
Purpose: Treating sore throat due to Streptococcus infection
- Adult: 500 mg, every 12 hours or 250 mg, every 6 hours, for 10 days.
- Teenagers: 250 mg every 6 hours or 500 mg every 12 hours for 10 days.
- Children: 250 mg every 8–12 hours for 10 days.
Purpose: Treat erysipelas
- Adult: 500 mg every 6 hours.
Purpose: Treat infection of the teeth and surrounding tissue ( periodontal )
- Adult: 250–500 mg, every 6 hours, for 5–7 days.
Purpose: Treat actinomycosis
- Adults: 2–4 g in 4 divided doses per day, for 8 weeks.
How to Take VK Penicillin Correctly
Follow the rules for use given by the doctor and read the instructions for use on the drug packaging. VK penicillin tablets are more easily absorbed by the body if taken 1 hour before eating or 2 hours after eating. If your stomach hurts after taking the drug, take the next dose with food.
Try to take VK penicillin at the same time every day to optimize the drug's effect. If you forget to take VK penicillin, take this drug immediately if the break with the next schedule is not too close. If it's close, ignore it and don't double the dose.
Do not stop taking VK penicillin even if your symptoms have improved. Stop taking the drug before the specified time can make bacteria resistant to antibiotics and increase the risk of the condition being suffered from recurring.
Store the medicine in its packaging in a cool and dry place. Keep medicine out of reach of children.
Interaction of VK Penicillin with Other Drugs
The following are drug interactions that can occur if VK penicillin is used with certain drugs:
- Decreased ability of VK penicillin to kill bacteria when used with chloramphenicol , erythromycin , neomycin , or tetracycline
- Increased risk of bleeding when used with warfarin
- Increased risk of side effects of methotrexate
- Decreased effectiveness of live vaccines, such as the typhoid vaccine
- Decreased effectiveness of birth control pills
- Increased blood levels of penicillin VK when used with probenecid or sulfinpyrazone
Side Effects and Dangers of Penicillin VK
A number of side effects that can occur after consuming VK penicillin are:
- Nausea or vomiting
- Stomach ache
- The tongue becomes black and hairy
Check with your doctor if the side effects above don't improve or get worse. Immediately see a doctor if an allergic drug reaction or serious side effects occur, such as:
- Joint or muscle pain
- Easy bruising
Although it rarely happens, sometimes the use of VK penicillin can cause Clostridium difficile infection , which can be characterized by symptoms of persistent diarrhea , abdominal pain or cramps , or bloody or mucous bowel movements. In addition, long-term use of VK penicillin can increase the risk of developing candidiasis in the mouth.