Piperazine is a drug to treat intestinal worms caused by roundworm or pinworm infections. Piperazine is available as lozenges, powder, and syrup, which can be purchased without a prescription.
Piperazine belongs to the class of anthelmintics or anthelmintics. This drug works by immobilizing worms in the digestive tract. That way, the worms cannot reproduce in the intestines and will be carried out with the feces.
Piperazine trademarks : Aficitrin , Combicitrine, Neo Ultraxon, Cap Menara Kuda Dua, Worm 8 Dewa, and Univxon.
What is Piperazine
|class||Limited over-the-counter drugs|
|Category||Antihelmintic or anthelmintic|
|Benefit||Overcome infection with worms or intestinal worms|
|Consumed by||Adults and children ≥1 year old|
|Piperazine for pregnant and lactating women||
Category N : Not yet categorized. Piperazine should not be used in pregnant women.
Piperazine may be absorbed into breast milk. Consult your doctor about taking piperazine if you are breastfeeding.
|Drug form||Lozenges, powders, syrups|
Precautions Before Taking Piperazine
Although it can be purchased freely without a doctor's prescription, piperazine should not be used carelessly. There are several things that need to be considered before taking piperazine, namely:
- Do not take piperazine if you have an allergy to this drug. If in doubt, tell your doctor about any allergies you have before taking piperazine.
- Do not take piperazine if you have liver disease, kidney failure, or if you have a history of epilepsy .
- Consult your doctor about using piperazine if you have or have ever had kidney disease, anemia , or nervous disorders in the brain.
- Consult with your doctor first before giving piperazine to children.
- Do not immediately drive a vehicle or engage in activities that require alertness if you experience drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision after taking piperazine.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages while undergoing treatment with piperazine
- Do not take piperazine if you are pregnant. Consult your doctor about using piperazine if you are planning to become pregnant, may become pregnant, or are currently
- Consult your doctor about using piperazine if you are using pyrantel pamoate or chlorpromazine . Also tell if you are taking other medications, including supplements and herbal products, to anticipate drug interactions.
- Immediately consult a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction or serious side effects after taking piperazine.
Dosage and Rules for Use Piperazine
Piperazine which is used to treat intestinal worms is usually in the form of piperazine hydrate. The dosage can be different, depending on the age of the patient and the type of worm infection he has.
The following are common piperazine dosages for children and adults based on their intended use:
Purpose: Overcome pinworm infection (enterobiasis)
- Adults and children >12 years: 2,000–2,250 mg daily.
- Children 5–12 years: 500 mg per day.
- Children 2–4 years: 750 mg per day.
- Children 1–2 years: 375 mg per day.
To treat enterobiasis, piperazine hydrate can be consumed once a day, or in divided doses for 7 days. If the complaint has not improved or the worms are still present, the dose can be repeated after 1 week.
Purpose: Overcome roundworm infection ( ascariasis )
- Adults and children >12 years: 000–4,500 mg.
- Children 9–12 years: 000 mg.
- Children ages 3–8 years: 250–2,666 mg.
- Children 1–2 years: 125–1,333 mg.
To treat ascariasis, piperazine hydrate is taken as a single dose at dinner. If the patient is constipated, it is advisable to use a laxative in the morning so that the worms can be pushed out.
How to Take Piperazine Properly
Read the information on the drug packaging or follow the doctor's instructions before taking piperazine. Do not increase or decrease the dose consumed without consulting a doctor first .
Take piperazine before or after meals. Piperazine in the form of lozenges is consumed by sucking until the drug dissolves in the mouth. For piperazine syrup, shake the bottle before consuming. If available, use a measuring spoon or measuring device available in the package so that the dosage is accurate.
Meanwhile, for piperazine powder, pour the drug powder into the water according to the dosage on the instructions for use, then stir it until it dissolves. After it dissolves, immediately drink the drug solution.
Take piperazine regularly according to the doctor's instructions so that the infection can heal completely. It is recommended not to miss any doses given by the doctor.
Worm infections can easily be transmitted from one person to another, especially if you live in the same house as the sufferer. In order to break the chain of infection in one home, it is recommended that all family members take piperazine simultaneously even if they are asymptomatic.
Apply a clean lifestyle to prevent recurrent infections. Make it a habit to wash your hands before and after eating, after using the toilet, or after doing activities.
In some cases, pinworm infection may recur after treatment with piperazine is finished. To prevent this from happening, be sure to wash all the clothes and bed linen you use in warm water.
Consult a doctor if the symptoms of worms do not improve or worsen after treatment with piperazine is finished.
Store piperazine in a cool place away from direct sunlight. Keep this drug out of reach of children.
Piperazine Interactions with Other Drugs
Piperazine may interact with other medications. The following are drug interaction effects that can occur between piperazine and other drugs:
- Increased risk of side effects from phenothiazines , such as chlorpromazine, if both drugs are used together
- Decreased effectiveness of piperazine in eradicating worms when used with pyrantel pamoate
To prevent unwanted drug interactions, consult your doctor before using any medication with piperazine.
Piperazine Side Effects and Dangers
Side effects that may arise after consuming piperazine are:
- Digestive disturbances, such as nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, or diarrhea
- Headache or dizziness
- Weak muscles
- Blurred vision
Consult a doctor if these side effects do not go away or get worse. Stop using the drug and see a doctor immediately if you have an allergic reaction to the drug, or serious side effects, such as confusion, tingling, uncontrolled movements, nystagmus , tremors, or seizures .