Ropinirole is a type of dopamine agonist drug used to treat motor neuron disorders , such as Parkinson's disease .
Ropinirole works by balancing the levels of dopamine in the brain, which is needed to control body movements. Thus, this drug can restore balance and ability to move the body and reduce the level of tremors in people with Parkinson's disease .
Ropinirole trademark: ReQuip PD 24 Hour
What is Ropinirole
|Benefit||Treating motor neuron disorders|
|Ropinirole for pregnant and lactating women||
Category C: Animal studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus, but there have been no controlled studies in pregnant women. Drugs should only be used if the expected benefit outweighs the risk to the fetus.
It is not known whether ropinirole is absorbed into breast milk or not. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor first.
Warning Before Consuming Ropinirole
The following are things that must be considered before consuming ropinirole:
- Do not take ropinirole if you have a history of allergies to this drug. Tell your doctor about any allergies you have.
- Tell your doctor if you have or are suffering from difficulty walking, high blood pressure (hypertension), low blood pressure ( hypotension ), kidney disease (especially those who already need dialysis), heart disease, heart rhythm disturbances , or sleep disturbances that cause you sleepy during the day.
- Tell your doctor if you have or are suffering from a mental health disorder, such as schizophrenia , hallucinations, or psychosis .
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy. Use effective contraception while taking this drug.
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery after taking this drug, because ropinirole can cause drowsiness and dizziness.
- Do not smoke or consume alcoholic beverages while taking ropinirole because it can increase the risk of side effects. Tell your doctor if you are an active smoker or have a history of alcoholism or drug use.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking other medications, including supplements and herbal products, to avoid drug interactions.
- Immediately see a doctor if you experience serious side effects, allergic drug reactions , or overdose after taking ropinirole.
Dosage and Rules for Using Ropinirole
Ropinirole available in Indonesia is only in the form of slow release tablets. The dosage of sustained-release ropinirole tablets in adults to treat Parkinson's disease is:
- Initial dose: 2 mg once daily, for 1 week. The dose can be increased in the second week to 4 mg once a day.
- Daily dose: may be increased by 2 mg, every 1 week, up to 8 mg per day. If the patient's condition does not improve, the dose can be increased by 2–4 mg per day, every 2 weeks.
- Maximum dose: 24 mg per day.
How to Take Ropinirole Correctly
Follow the doctor's recommendations and read the instructions for use on the packaging before taking ropinirole.
This medicine can be taken before or after meals. Swallow the medicine directly with the help of plain water, without chewing, splitting or crushing it first.
Ropinirole should be consumed regularly. Do not increase or decrease your dose or start or stop taking medication without consulting your doctor to avoid withdrawal symptoms, such as fatigue and loss of enthusiasm, depression , and excessive sweating.
If you forget to take ropinirole, take this medicine immediately if it is not close to the schedule for taking the next drug. If it is close, ignore the missed dose and do not double the next dose.
Store ropinirole at room temperature, in a dry place, away from direct sunlight. Keep medicine out of reach of children.
Ropinirole Interactions with Other Drugs
The following are interactions that may occur when using ropinirole together with certain drugs:
- Increased risk of ropinirole side effects when used with ciprofloxacin , fluvoxamine, or hormone drugs, such as estrogen
- Decreased effectiveness of ropinirole if taken with antipsychotic drugs, such as chlorpromazine, aripiprazine, and olanzapine , or other dopamine agonist drugs, such as metoclopramide
- Increased risk of bleeding when used with vitamin K antagonists, such as warfarin
- Increased sedative effect of ropinirole when used with drugs that depress the central nervous system, such as alprazolam , lorazepam or clobazam
Ropinirole Side Effects and Dangers
Side effects that can occur after using ropinirole are:
- Stomach ache
- Excessive sweating
- Swollen foot
- Sudden muscle movements
- Flu symptoms, such as fever, chills or muscle aches
- Symptoms of increased blood pressure, such as a severe headache, nosebleed , or fast heartbeat
Immediately see a doctor if you experience an allergic drug reaction or more serious side effects, such as:
- Severe drowsiness or sudden sleep
- Head floats or feels like you're about to faint
- Drastic changes in mood or behavior
- Uncontrollable tremors or muscle twitches