Sildenafil is a drug to treat erectile dysfunction or impotence. In addition , this drug can also be used to improve the physical abilities of people with pulmonary hypertension in exercising.
Sildenafil works by increasing blood flow to the penis during sexual stimulation, causing an erection. In treating pulmonary hypertension, sildenafil works by relaxing the blood vessels in the lungs, so that blood vessel pressure is reduced and blood can flow smoothly.
Sildenafil trademarks: Amigra 100, Camastil, Caprenafil 100, Ericfil 50, Revatio, Sildenafil Citrate, Sanbenafil, Sidox, Topgra, Viajoy 100, Viastar Blue, Viagra , Zifagra 100.
What is Sildenafil
|Category||Phosphodiesterase -5 (PDE5) inhibitor drugs|
|Benefit||Overcome impotence and pulmonary hypertension|
|Consumed by||Adults and children|
|Sildenafil for pregnant and lactating women||
Category B: Animal studies have not demonstrated a risk to the fetus, but there are no controlled studies in pregnant women. It is not known whether Sildenafil is absorbed into breast milk.
If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor first.
|Drug form||Oral dissolving film (ODF), tablets, dry syrup and injections|
Warning Before Using Sildenafil
Sildenafil should not be used carelessly and must be based on a doctor's prescription. There are several things that need to be considered before using this drug, including:
- Do not use sildenafil if you are allergic to this drug.
- Do not use sildenafil if you are being treated with a nitrate class of drugs, such as nitroglycerin .
- Do not use sildenafil if you have recently had a stroke or heart attack.
- Tell your doctor if you have or are suffering from hypotension , high cholesterol levels , diabetes , liver disease , peptic ulcer , kidney disease , blood disorders , heart disease , blocked blood vessels in the eye , retinitis pigmentosa , or any abnormality in the shape of the penis , eg disease Peyronie .
- Do not give sildenafil to children under 18 years of age, unless advised by a doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are
- Tell your doctor if you are taking other medications, including supplements and herbal products, to avoid interactions between drugs.
- Tell your doctor that you are using sildenafil before having surgery, including dental surgery.
- Immediately consult a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction or serious side effects after use
Dosage and Rules for Use Sildenafil
The doctor will give the dose and determine the duration of treatment according to the patient's age and condition. The following are common dosages of sildenafil which are grouped based on the form of the drug and the conditions being treated:
Tablet, dry syrup, and oral dissolving film forms
Condition: Erectile dysfunction or impotence
- Adult: 50 mg, taken 1 hour before sexual intercourse. Maximum dose: 100 mg per day.
Condition: Pulmonary hypertension
- Adult: 5 mg or 20 mg, 3 times daily.
IV injection form (intravenous / through a vein)
Condition: Pulmonary hypertension
- Adult: 2.5 mg or 10 mg, 3 times daily .
- Children weighing ≤20 kg: 10 mg 3 times daily
- Children weighing > 20 kg : 20 mg 3 times a day
How to use Sildenafil Correctly
Sildenafil injectable form should only be given by a doctor or medical officer under the supervision of a doctor. The doctor will inject sildenafil into a vein
Sildenafil in tablet, ODF, or syrup form can be used independently. Always follow the doctor 's recommendations and read the information on the sildenafil packaging before starting to consume it. Sildenafil can be taken before or after meals. Swallow the medicine with water.
To overcome impotence, sildenafil can be used 30 minutes to 4 hours before sexual intercourse. However, this drug will be more effective if consumed 1 hour before sexual intercourse. Sildenafil to treat impotence can only be used once a day.
Avoid eating high-fat foods while using sildenafil, because it can slow the action of this drug.
In dealing with pulmonary hypertension, sildenafil can be taken before or after meals. Swallow sildenafil tablets whole with a glass of water.
If you are taking ODF sildenafil, make sure the drug dissolves on the tongue before swallowing. Meanwhile, if you are taking sildenafil in syrup form, shake the bottle before consuming the drug. If there is one, use the measuring spoon that is available in the package so that the dosage is correct.
Store sildenafil tablets and ODF in a cool place away from direct sunlight. Store sildenafil dry syrup in the refrigerator at 2–8°C and don't put it in the freezer . Keep medicine out of reach of children.
Sildenafil Interactions with Other Drugs
The following are interactions that can occur when using sildenafil together with certain drugs:
- Decreased sildenafil blood levels when used with rifampicin or corticosteroids
- Increased risk of sildenafil side effects when used with lopinavir-ritonavir , cimetidine, delavirdine, erythromycin , itraconazole, or ketoconazole
- An increased risk of developing symptomatic high blood pressure (hypertension) when used with alpha blockers, such as tamsulosin
- Increased blood pressure-lowering effects of nitrates which can be fatal
Avoid taking sildenafil with grapefruit juice because it can increase the risk of side effects. In addition, avoid consuming strong herbs, especially those that are not verified by BPOM, because this will increase the risk of dangerous side effects.
Side Effects and Dangers of Sildenafil
Side effects that may arise after using sildenafil are:
- Headache or dizziness
- Muscle ache
- back pain
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Dizziness or headache
- Feeling of heat and redness of the skin ( flushing )
Check with your doctor if these side effects don't go away or get worse. Immediately see a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction , or more serious side effects, such as:
- Itching or pain
- Chest pain
- Irregular heartbeat ( arrhythmia )
- Erections last a long time ( priapismus ) and cause pain
- Sudden ringing in the ears or deafness
- Difficulty breathing
- Seizures or fainting
- Blurred vision or sudden blindness