Sparfloxacin is an antibiotic drug to treat diseases caused by bacterial infections, such as pneumonia and bronchitis. This medicine should not be used carelessly and should only be used according to a doctor's prescription.
Sparfloxacin belongs to the quinolone class of antibiotics. This drug works by inhibiting DNA gyrase which plays an important role in bacterial replication. That way, bacterial growth can be inhibited and bacterial infections can be overcome. Keep in mind that this drug cannot cure diseases caused by viral infections, such as colds and flu.
Sparfloxacin Trademark: Newspar
What is Sparfloxacin
|Benefit||Treat pneumonia and bronchitis|
|Used by||Adults and children|
|Sparfloxacin for pregnant and lactating women||
Category C: Animal studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus, but there have been no controlled studies in pregnant women. Drugs should only be used if the expected benefit outweighs the risk to the fetus.
Sparfloxacin may be absorbed into breast milk. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor first.
Precautions Before Taking Sparfloxacin
Sparfloxacin should not be used carelessly. Some things that must be considered before consuming sparfloxacin are:
- Do not take sparfloxacin if you are allergic to this drug. Tell your doctor about any history of allergies you have.
- Tell your doctor if you have had or are suffering from seizures, epilepsy , diseases of the brain and nervous system, kidney problems, or arrhythmias or heart disease that can lead to heart rhythm disturbances.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any other medicines, including herbal medicines or supplements.
- Do not drive or operate equipment that requires alertness while taking sparfloxacin, because this drug can cause dizziness and drowsiness.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy.
- Avoid direct sun exposure while taking sparfloxacin, because this drug can increase skin sensitivity to sunlight.
- Immediately see a doctor if you have an allergic drug reaction, serious side effects, or an overdose after taking sparfloxacin.
Dosage and Rules for Using Sparfloxacin
The dosage of sparfloxacin varies for each patient. The following is the dose of sparfloxacin based on the patient's condition:
Conditions: Treatment of bronchitis or pneumonia
Adults: Initial dose is 400 mg, followed by 200 mg once daily, for 10 days.
Conditions: Treatment of leprosy
Adults: 200 mg once. The duration of treatment can be up to 1 year, depending on the patient's response to therapy.
The dosage for children will be determined directly by the doctor based on the patient's age and health condition.
How to Take Sparfloxacin Properly
Follow the doctor 's recommendations and read the rules for use on the package before using sparfloxacin. Do not add, reduce, or stop using this drug arbitrarily without consulting a doctor.
Sparfloxacin can be taken before or after meals. Use plain water to swallow the tablets. If you forget to take sparfloxacin, take it immediately when you remember. If it is nearing time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue on your regular dosing schedule. Do not double your sparfloxacin dose to make up for a missed dose.
If you are taking antacids containing magnesium or aluminum, or vitamins containing iron, take them 4 hours after you take sparfloxacin.
Store sparfloxacin at room temperature. Protect this drug from direct sunlight. Keep this drug out of reach of children.
Sparfloxacin Interactions with Other Drugs
The following are a number of interaction effects that can occur when using sparfloxacin together with other medicines:
- Increased plasma concentrations of theophylline or tizanidine
- Decreased effectiveness of sparfloxacin when used with antacids
- Increased risk of seizures when used with NSAIDs , such as ibuprofen, aspirin, or naproxen
- Increased effectiveness of warfarin or glibenclamide
- Increased risk of tendon tears when used with corticosteroids
- Increased risk of QT prolongation when used with class Ia and III antiarrhythmic drugs, such as amiodarone and quinidine
Sparfloxacin Side Effects and Dangers
Some side effects that may occur after using sparfloxacin are:
- Headache or dizziness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Hard to sleep
- Ringing ears
Check with your doctor if the complaints mentioned above do not go away or get worse. Call your doctor right away if you experience an allergic drug reaction or experience more serious side effects, such as:
- Heart rhythm disturbances
- Chest pain and breathing difficulties
- Confusion or hallucinations appear
- Severe diarrhea
- Tremors or seizures