Tadalafil is a drug to treat impotence or erectile dysfunction. This medication may also be used to treat symptoms of an enlarged prostate (BPH), such as difficulty urinating and pain or a feeling of incomplete urination.
Tadalafil as one of the strong drugs sold in pharmacies , works by increasing blood flow to the penis, so that erections can occur and last longer. To treat BPH symptoms , tadalafil works by relaxing the prostate and bladder muscles so urine can flow more smoothly.
Tadalafil is also used to treat pulmonary hypertension , which is a condition of high blood pressure in the blood vessels of the lungs. This drug should not be used carelessly and must be according to a doctor's prescription.
Tadalafil trademarks: Caliberi, Cialis, Ciastar Yellow, Promel
What is Tadalafil
|Category||Erectile dysfunction medication|
|Benefit||Overcoming impotence or erectile dysfunction, treating symptoms of benign prostate enlargement, and treating pulmonary hypertension.|
|Tadalafil for pregnant and lactating women||Category B: Animal studies have not demonstrated a risk to the fetus, but there are no controlled studies in pregnant women. It is not known whether tadalafil is absorbed into breast milk. Tadalafil is known to have the potential to be absorbed into breast milk based on the results of studies on experimental animals. However, this drug is not for use by women.|
|Drug form||Tablets, orodispersible film , oral dissolving film (ODF)|
Warning Before Taking Tadalafil
Tadalafil should only be used according to a doctor's prescription. There are several things that must be considered before using this drug, namely:
- Do not take tadalafil if you are allergic to this drug. Tell your doctor about any history of allergies you have.
- Do not take tadalafil if you are on medication with nitrates or riociguat.
- Tell your doctor if you have or are suffering from heart disease , stroke, hypotension , hypertension , heart attack, arrhythmia , kidney disease, liver disease , dehydration, retinitis pigmentosa , high cholesterol, stomach ulcers, blood disorders, vision problems, or blindness .
- Tell your doctor if you have or currently have Peyronie's disease , priapism, or any disease that can increase your risk of developing priapism , such as leukemia, sickle cell anemia , or multiple myeloma .
- Do not drive a vehicle or do activities that require alertness after taking tadalafil, because this drug can cause dizziness.
- Do not consume alcoholic beverages or grapefruit , and avoid smoking , while undergoing treatment with tadalafil, because it can increase the risk of side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements or herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or breastfeeding, when you want to take tadalafil to treat pulmonary hypertension.
- Tell your doctor that you are taking tadalafil if you are planning to have dental surgery.
- Immediately see a doctor if an allergic drug reaction occurs , serious side effects, or an overdose after taking tadalafil.
Dosage and Rules for Using Tadalafil
The following is the general dosage for using tadalafil for adults based on the condition you want to treat:
Conditions: Impotence or erectile dysfunction
The initial dose is 10 mg, taken 30 minutes before sexual intercourse. If needed, the dose may be increased to 20 mg.
An alternative dose is 5 mg once daily. The dose can be reduced to 2.5 mg, according to the patient's condition.
Conditions: Benign prostatic enlargement ( benign prostatic hyperplasia / BPH)
The dose of tadalafil to treat BPH is 5 mg, 1 time a day.
Conditions: Pulmonary hypertension
The dose of tadalafil to treat pulmonary hypertension is 40 mg, once a day.
How to Take Tadalafil Properly
Follow the doctor 's recommendations and read the instructions for use listed on the package before taking tadalafil. Do not use this drug more than once in 24 hours.
Tadalafil can be consumed before or after meals. Tadalafil tablets can be swallowed with the help of a glass of water, while tadalafil orodispersible films and tadalafil oral dissolving films need to be placed on the tongue and waited for them to break down and then swallowed with or without the help of water.
If your doctor prescribes tadalafil once a day, take this drug at the same time every day so that the drug's effect is maximized.
Store tadalafil in a room with room temperature. Do not store it in a damp place or in direct sunlight. Keep this drug out of reach of children.
Interactions of Tadalafil with Other Drugs
The following are drug interaction effects that can occur if tadalafil is taken with other drugs:
- Increased risk of developing severe hypotension which can be fatal if taken with nitrates or riociguat
- Increased blood pressure lowering effect when taken with amlodipine , enalapril or metoprolol
- Increased levels of tadalafil in the blood if taken with azole class antifungal drugs, macrolide antibiotics , cimetidine, or HIV drugs
- Decreased blood levels of tadalafil when taken with rifampicin, carbamazepine, phenytoin or phenobarbital
It is not recommended to take tadalafil with grapefruit , because blood levels of tadalafil can rise, increasing the risk of side effects.
Side Effects and Dangers of Tadalafil
Some of the side effects that may appear after consuming tadalafil are:
- Muscle ache
- Nasal congestion
- Heartburn, heartburn, or stomach pain
- Sensation of heat throughout the body ( hot flush )
Check with your doctor if the side effects above don't go away or get worse. See a doctor immediately if you have an allergic drug reaction or more serious side effects, such as:
- Blurred vision, blindness, or difficulty distinguishing blue from green
- Sudden deafness or ringing in the ears
- An erection that lasts more than 4 hours
- Chest pain
- Severe dizziness to the point of fainting