Telmisartan is a drug to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). This drug can be taken as a single drug or in combination with other antihypertensive drugs.
Telmisartan will inhibit the binding of angiotensin II to its receptors, thereby helping to relax the vascular muscles. That way, blood vessels that were previously narrowed will widen, blood flow will be smoother, and blood pressure will decrease.
Apart from treating hypertension, telmisartan is also used to reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack in patients with cardiovascular disease.
Telmisartan trademark : Co-Telsaril 40/12.5, Micardis, Micardis Plus, Nuzartan, Telmisartan, Tinov 40, Simtel 80, Twynsta, Telgio, Telsat
What is Telmisartan
|Category||Angiotensin II receptor blockers ( ARBs )|
|Benefit||Manage hypertension and reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks with cardiovascular disease.|
|Telmisartan for pregnant and lactating women||
Category D: There is positive evidence of risk to the human fetus, but the benefits may outweigh the risks, for example in dealing with a life-threatening situation.
It is not known whether telmisartan is absorbed into breast milk or not. If you are breastfeeding, do not use this medicine without consulting your doctor first.
Warning Before Taking Telmisartan
Telmisartan should only be consumed according to a doctor's prescription. Before taking telmisartan you need to pay attention to the following things:
- Tell your doctor about any history of allergies you have. Telmisartan should not be taken by patients who are allergic to this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have had angioedema , liver disease, dehydration , bile duct obstruction, diabetes , high levels of potassium in the blood (hyperkalemia), heart disease, kidney disease, or are on a low-salt diet .
- Do not drive a vehicle or do activities that require alertness after taking telmisartan, because this drug can cause dizziness.
- Tell your doctor if you are having dialysis .
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain herbal products, supplements or medications, such as alisikren or other antihypertensive drugs .
- Tell your doctor if you are taking telmisartan before having surgery, including dental surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy. Use effective contraception while on treatment with telmisartan.
- Immediately see a doctor if you experience an allergic drug reaction , serious side effects, or an overdose after taking telmisartan.
Dosage and Rules for Use Telmisartan
The dose of telmisartan is determined based on the age, condition of the patient and the body's response to the drug.
To lower blood pressure in hypertension , the initial dose is 40 mg once daily. Dosage can be increased to 20–80, 1 time per day according to the patient's body response. The maximum dose is 80 mg per day.
To reduce the risk of stroke or heart attack in patients suffering from heart and blood vessel disease, the dose is 80 mg, once a day.
How to Take Telmisartan Properly
Take telmisartan according to doctor 's advice and don't forget to read the information on the drug packaging. Do not add or reduce the dose, and do not use the drug for more than the recommended time.
Take telmisartan regularly at the same time every day. Telmisartan can be taken before or after meals with the help of a glass of water. Swallow the medication whole, do not chew or crush it.
If you forget to take telmisartan, take it as soon as you remember. If it is nearing time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue on your regular dosing schedule. Do not double your losartan dose to make up for a missed dose, unless directed by your doctor.
Do blood pressure checks regularly while using telmisartan to monitor body condition and body response to treatment.
It should be noted that this drug can help control blood pressure in people with hypertension, but cannot cure it. To help control blood pressure, you also need to maintain an ideal body weight and limit consumption of foods that are high in salt.
Store telmisartan in a dry, closed place, and avoid direct sunlight. Keep this drug out of reach of children.
Telmisartan Interactions with Other Drugs
The following are interactions that can occur when taking telmisartan with other drugs:
- Increased risk of developing hypotension, hyperkalemia and impaired kidney function when antihypertensive drugs are used, such as alisikren or ACE inhibitor class drugs , such as captopril
- Increased risk of developing hyperkalemia when used with potassium supplements or potassium -sparing diuretic drugs , such as spironolactone
- Decreased antihypertensive effect of telmisartan when used with corticosteroid drugs or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs , such as aspirin
- Increased levels of lithium or digoxin in the blood
Telmisartan Side Effects and Dangers
Some of the side effects that can occur after consuming telmisartan are:
- Dizziness , especially after getting out of bed or sitting up
- Back pain
- Nasal congestion, upper respiratory tract infection, or symptoms of sinus inflammation ( sinusitis )
Check with your doctor if the side effects above don't go away. Immediately go to the doctor if a drug allergic reaction appears which can be marked by the appearance of an itchy and swollen rash, swollen eyelids and lips, or difficulty breathing.
In addition, you should also see a doctor immediately if you experience more serious side effects, such as:
- Significant weight gain or swelling of the feet and hands
- Hyperkalemia , which can be characterized by symptoms such as nausea, weakness, chest pain, slow or irregular heartbeat, or muscle weakness
- Infrequent urination or very little urine