Temazepam is a drug to treat insomnia, which is difficulty falling asleep or not being able to sleep well. Apart from that, temazepam can also be prescribed as a sedative before surgical procedures.
Temazepam belongs to the class of benzodiazepine sedatives . This drug works by suppressing the activity of the central nervous system, causing a calming effect and drowsiness. Temazepam helps people with insomnia fall asleep faster, sleep better, and last longer.
Temazepam should not be used carelessly and can only be obtained with a doctor's prescription because of the risk of causing drug dependence. The use of temazepam is only for the short term, namely 7–10 days.
Trademark : -
What is Temazepam
Warning Before Taking Temazepam
Some things to consider before consuming temazapam are:
- Do not take temazepam if you are allergic to it or to other sedatives, such as alprazolam, diazepam, xanax, and lorazepam. Always tell your doctor about any history of allergies you have.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of kidney disease, liver disease , breathing problems, including sleep apnea , myasthenia gravis , alcoholism, drug abuse , depression, mental disorders, or suicide attempts .
- Do not use opioid class drugs, such as codeine or fentanyl, while undergoing treatment with temazepam.
- Do not use temazepam in the long term or not according to doctor's recommendations because it can cause addiction and overdose.
- Temazepam should not be used by children under 18 years of age.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or planning a pregnancy. Temazepam should not be consumed by pregnant women. Use effective contraception to prevent pregnancy while taking temazepam.
- Avoid smoking and consuming alcohol while using temazepam because it can reduce its effectiveness and increase the risk of dangerous side effects.
- Do not drive or do activities that require alertness after taking temazepam, because this drug can cause dizziness, drowsiness, and visual disturbances.
- Tell your doctor that you are taking temazepam if you are planning to have surgery, including dental surgery.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking certain medications, supplements or herbal products.
- Stop medication and consult a doctor immediately if you experience changes in behavior, memory problems, difficulty concentrating, feelings of deep sadness, or thoughts of suicide.
- Tell your doctor if your sleep disturbance does not improve after 7 days of taking temazepam.
- Immediately consult a doctor if you experience a drug allergic reaction, serious side effects, or an overdose after taking temazepam.
Dosage and Rules for Using Temazepam
The dosage of temazepam for each person can vary, depending on the intended use. To treat insomnia , the dose given for adults is 7.5-30 mg, once a day, before going to bed. Maximum dose of 40 mg.
The dose of temazepam to treat insomnia in the elderly is 5 mg, once a day, before going to bed. Dosage may be increased to 10–20 mg in patients with severe insomnia.
If temazepam is used as a sedative before surgery, the dose for adults is 20–40 mg, while the dose for the elderly is 10–20 mg. This medicine will usually be given 1 hour before the operation is carried out.
How to Take Temazepam Properly
Follow the doctor's recommendations and read the instructions on the drug packaging before taking temazepam. Do not increase the dose of medicine without the doctor's knowledge.
Temazepam can be taken with or without food. Take this drug only at night before going to bed.
Temazepam can be addictive. Therefore, it is important to always take this drug according to the dosage given by the doctor. Also, don't share this medication with other people, even if those people have the same symptoms.
Misuse of temazepam can lead to overdose and death. In addition, selling or giving this medicine to other people without a doctor's prescription is an unlawful act.
To monitor the development of the condition and ensure that the drug works properly, follow the control schedule determined by the doctor while taking this drug. Routine check-ups will also help the doctor find out the side effects of the drug.
Do not stop using temazepam without your doctor's permission. This aims to avoid withdrawal symptoms, such as muscle cramps, tremors , behavioral disturbances, hallucinations , or seizures.
If the condition has improved, the doctor will gradually reduce the temazepam dose before stopping treatment so that withdrawal symptoms do not occur.
Store temazepam in a closed container and avoid exposure to direct sunlight. Keep this drug out of reach of children.
Temazepam Interactions with Other Drugs
The use of temazepan with certain drugs can cause interaction effects in the form of:
- Increases the depressive effects of the central nervous system, such as severe respiratory distress, coma, and even death, when used with clozapine , droperidol, and opioid class drugs, such as codeine, morphine , or fentanyl
- Increased risk of side effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, and difficulty concentrating when used with antipsychotic drugs , such as chlorpromazine and aripiprazole; antidepressants , such as fluoxetine and amitriptyline; antihistamines , such as cetirizine and chlorpheniramine; and barbiturates , such as amobarbital
- Increased risk of developing hypotension when used with antihypertensive drugs
- Decrease in the effectiveness of the drug temazepam, if used with theophylline drug
In addition, if temazepam is consumed with alcoholic beverages it can cause additional sedation effects (very drowsy) and respiratory system disorders.
Side Effects and Dangers of Temazepam
Some of the side effects that can occur after consuming temazepam are:
- Daytime sleepiness
- Dizziness or headache
- Dry mouth
Check with your doctor if the side effects above don't improve or get worse. Immediately see a doctor if you experience an allergic drug reaction or serious side effects, such as:
- Easily offended
- Impaired memory or doing something unconsciously
- Shaking and steps becoming unsteady
- Anxiety or nightmares
- Thoughts or attempts to hurt yourself or commit suicide
Immediately go to the emergency room if there are symptoms of an overdose, such as decreased consciousness, blurred vision, shortness of breath, feeling like fainting when standing up from sitting, pale or bluish skin and nails, extreme drowsiness and fatigue.